Using GPS to get speed and distance

Tutorials that use the MapActivity. Many using GPS functionality.

Using GPS to get speed and distance

Postby iainahay » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Hey,

I am working on an application for runners to train with that displays their distance and speed - looking into this I've seen that the speed can be done by using either GPS or the built in accelerometer. I was wondering which is the best to use?

And if there was any tutorials in how to go about doing this? or any about calculating the distance - I have google maps working on the application and GPS working (finding users location and tracking) but I am new to Android and need some guidance on the above aspects!

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

Iain
iainahay
Freshman
Freshman

Postby rafffel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:24 am

Hi i have search for it too .
I have found a great open source app using speed distance and some other class of gps .

the link :http://code.google.com/p/bearing/source/browse/trunk/Bearing/src/com/alfray/bearing/BearingActivity.java

Hope it help you.
rafffel
Freshman
Freshman

Postby iainahay » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:02 pm

thanks, ive had a look and im sure that will help loads! the project has been on the back burner for the last couple of week (hence the delayed response!) but am starting up again this week! im almost certain that was exactly the type of thing i was looking for with regard to measuring distance and also has extras like bearing etc!

Thanks a million!
iainahay
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Map Tutorials