Unable to Display the Map

Tutorials that use the MapActivity. Many using GPS functionality.

Unable to Display the Map

Postby pravin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi,

After going through the similar posts i was unable to find the solution for the problem. Hence i decided to post a new one. After executing the SampleMapApp the output for it is a Blank grid i am unable to understand the reason why it is not displaying the Map. Can anybody help me out of this. I have created the apiKey,and also checked about the internet availability. Internet is working fine in the emulator browser. There is a "com.google.android.maps:FriendService is not responding" error i think.

Can anybody direct me for the same.

Regards,
Pravin.
pravin
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

re: pravin

Postby my.name.is.yee » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:12 pm

hey pravin

i have similar problem with u but my error is "Failed to find provider info for com.google.settings"

after i check it i found i got wrong apikey. i am running Ubuntu system. and when i type "$ keytool -list -alias androiddebugkey -keystore <path_to_debug_keystore>.keystore -storepass android -keypass android" to get my MD5 fingerprint of the debug certificate. it shows different fingerprint with root user mode and normal user mode. i run android via root user. but i got MD5 fingerprint of the debug certificate from normal user mode. So after i get new APIkey, it works. Or i guess ur system might be have two JDKs. coz keytool command from <path>/jdk/bin. i mights come up different different fingerprint which is not the one using in android. this is my assumption.

by the way, make sure insert <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" /> as a child of the <manifest> element in Androidmanifest.xml. u still need to turn on the permission for ur application to access internet. it's nothing do with emulator browser

Hope it works
my.name.is.yee
Freshman
Freshman

Postby coolavdhesh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:00 am

Hi Pravin,

i had same problem that you faced. As Yee suggest there is api key issue.Yes it's a api key problem.
The main cause of wrong api key is the MD finger point is not valid.
For generation of MD finger point we need the debug keyStore. In Windows Xp the debugkeystore is saved in two location.
1.C:\Documents and Settings\admin name \.android
2.C:\Documents and Settings\admin name\Local Settings\Application Data\Android

the first location key store is valid. So you Make sure that you generate the valid finger point from first location.

Hope it's help you .

Thanks
Avdhesh
coolavdhesh
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Map Tutorials