Real GPS (not Mock) with Android how?

Tutorials that use the MapActivity. Many using GPS functionality.

Real GPS (not Mock) with Android how?

Postby KayDK » Sun May 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks to this forum now i get the mock location provider working with the google map in Android :).

But what i really wish is to make a real bluetooth GPS working with Android. I make a Java program where i can get the data from my BT GPS via a COM port.

But if it had to work with Android the data should be place in a directory as /data/app/misc/location/myBTgps/nmea in the Android filesystem.

So my question is how is the easiest way to do this (or what is the correct way)? Is there any API in android which directly can get data from BT GPS?

I see the way getting the GPS data from the COM port of my PC and then written an application which automatically transfer data to /data/app/misc/location/myBTgps/nmea is not a good idea, because is won't work on a real Android Mobile phone.

Hope some of you can helps answering my questions.

Thank you.

Kay
KayDK
Freshman
Freshman

Postby chris » Sat May 31, 2008 7:53 pm

look easy to me :D
You just have to make an client/server app between your java programme on your desktop and the emulator (or the easy way , send the updates positions by UDP to the emulator.
on you device , you set a service who will listen for update on UDP (or connect to your server) ,create a location based on the data retrieved and brodcast it via an intent (you just add your location in the bundle) with the same name you ask notification to the location manager.

Simple :)

regards

by the way , you are posting on the wrong par tof the board , here it's for tutorialsonly , there's a map issues board
chris
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Map Tutorials