Find Nearby Location HELP

Tutorials that use the MapActivity. Many using GPS functionality.

Find Nearby Location HELP

Postby mmgill » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some help on a simple location based app. Is there a way to show different types of businesses (points of interest) around the current location of the phone?

I was thinking of using the web service Microsoft MapPoint but was wondering if there was an easier way to go about this? Maybe an API or other web service?

Is there any documentation or sample code out there that will help me understand this more? Thanks for any help that can be provided!

Mg
mmgill
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

local

Postby jakedunc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 pm

hey man you found out how to get local places? i cant find out how to access local bars or restaurants in my code... must be able to do it somehow though aye...
jakedunc
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby mmgill » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Yeah Yahoo has a Local Search Web Service that can provide local spots. Here's an example of bars near normal, il:

http://local.yahooapis.com/LocalSearchS ... &results=4

Here is the documentation on yahoos site:

http://developer.yahoo.com/search/local ... earch.html

It returns XML which i am still having trouble getting the names into a ListView. If anyone can help me parse it please let me know.

Hope it helps
mmgill
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby PopPooB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks alot mmgil let me know if you figure anything else out, but this had helped me alot
PopPooB
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Find Nearby Location HELP

Postby haralampi » Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm

Is there really no native solution for this?
I mean google has this feature on google maps with the near query, so I wonder why they did not implement it natively?

Do we have to use the AJAX API somehow to get an xml from google or is there no such way, I hate to be rely on yahoo for an android product...

@mmgill

How are you retrieving the xml from Yahoo, can u post a snippet?

thanx
haralampi
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Find Nearby Location HELP

Postby mfernandes » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:21 am

Hello,

I also need this info. I'm working on my final paper and it involves searching for nearby locations; the idea is to implement an Android app as a prototype. Can't we use Google maps APIs to do such thing? I mean, perform a search for, let's say, "groceries" passing in our latitude / longitude as parameter... I wonder...

Regards,
- Fernando
mfernandes
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Map Tutorials