YahooMaps on Android

Put problem concerning MapActivities, MapViews, Overlays and GPS in this forum.

YahooMaps on Android

Postby liviu » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:43 pm

Any chance to get YahooMaps or MGMaps.com to work on Android?

Why? 'Cause Google Maps doesn't have a vectorised map for Bucharest, Romania...

AndNav.org apparently uses Google Maps, rite?

Scenario: I take some input data using a form-like gui on various places. I save the location but I need to see the map, and also be able to select locations on a map and add that info in the form.
Basically "geocoding and reverse geocoding" based on YahooMaps? Could that work?

All hints welcomed
Liviu
liviu
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby ninor » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:32 am

According to the Yahoo Maps Terms of Use, the restrictions are the same than with Google's Maps.

And about MGMaps: its services are based on Yahoo! Maps, Windows Live Local (MSN Virtual Earth), Ask.com, Open Street Maps. So you have to agree each Terms of Service if you use one or another maps.
I understand that all these restrictions doesn't come from Yahoo or Google themselves, but from maps providers (Navteq, teleatlas, and so on), so they keep the rights to commercialize map navigators and tracking software for vehicles.

The only free implementation there is OpenStreetMaps, that's already being discussed in another thread here in AndDev.
Aside this free implementation, the Terms of Service that seems is free to use with navigation and driving directions is Microsoft's MapPoint Web Service: http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/webservice/terms.mspx
The only drawback here is that the map providers are the same than Google's and Yahoos', and maybe it's a matter of time that they add some restriction clause to the ToS. But for now, it's usable.

Other links:
http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/maps/mapstou/mapstou-278.html
ninor

Return to Map Problems