Locally stored maps (no Internet/Google Maps)

Put problem concerning MapActivities, MapViews, Overlays and GPS in this forum.

Locally stored maps (no Internet/Google Maps)

Postby jetownsend » Tue May 26, 2009 4:12 pm

I'm somewhat new to the Android platform, and want to create a GPS mapping application that will work in the absence of an Internet/Google Maps connection, using locally stored terrain map images. Is there a reasonably easy way for me to do this using any of the existing Location API, or does it all depend on getting maps online? Obviously, I'm not going to be able to fit maps of the entire earth on a mobile device, but this would be intended for use in a relatively small, defined area. The ability to pan and zoom would probably be needed, however. Thanks for any suggestions to get me started!
jetownsend
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jetownsend » Wed May 27, 2009 8:51 pm

From what I've seen so far, it sounds like the only way to do this (short of rewriting the Google Maps library) might be to use local maps as image overlays to completely cover the unavailable Google map tiles, pinning them to corresponding geopoints. Think that would work, or be worth trying?
jetownsend
Freshman
Freshman

Postby claudette » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:35 pm

That is a good question and I need to know it as well! jetownsend, do you already have a solution? what did you do? It would be great if you could share it with me!
thank you!
claudette
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Map Problems