Im new and have a few questions...

Put problem concerning MapActivities, MapViews, Overlays and GPS in this forum.

Im new and have a few questions...

Postby warlo3k » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:22 am

I want to make an app that you can use your location via google maps and see other people running the same app as well on google maps that are around you. I also want to be able to click on the other people on the map and basically see a "profile" of sorts that is set up on that users app.
Example: I am at somethign like comicon or E3 and other people in the conference are running this same app. I want to be able to see them on a mapview within the app and be able to click on someones dot and load up that persons profile. They have setup their profile on there app to show whatever data they want to revile.
I was also wondering if this is something I would need my own server to host the data of the location of these people in order for it to display on the map or is this something that can be done via google maps?
One last thing, is it possible to click on the person and have it load their data directly from their phone, sort of like a peer to peer or adhoc network, or will this also need to be hosted on a server?
My goal is basically to make this app not need a server in the background to run, as then it becomes an issue of monthly cost to keep the app runnning. Thanks everyone for any help you can give and if you can point me in the right direction so I can learn to do this :)!
warlo3k
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Im new and have a few questions...

Postby blundell » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Sorry dud you'll need a server or some server space. You can get this free, but from the end goal of your app I don't think the free serverspace would suffice.

For a beginner as well I would, the scope of your project is a little large.

Why not start with three smaller projects:

An app that stores a profile that you can edit and maybe send to other phones (mms, sms, wap, web, image upload).
An app that tracks your position on google maps.
An app that retrieves other items from google maps (i.e. close by mcdonalds or something)

Once you have mastered these then I would suggest you look into servers and merging the apps. I actually don't recommend you merge them if you get this far. Merely start again and incorporate pieces, that way you can get the best architecture and learn from former mistakes.
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Map Problems