how to improve gps accuracy

Put problem concerning MapActivities, MapViews, Overlays and GPS in this forum.

how to improve gps accuracy

Postby YoFrankie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:53 pm

with my locationlistener i get accuracy values about 30-100 m (being on an open field without annoying houses around me disturbing the gps signal). Why is that so bad? I thought you could get an accuracy about 3m with gps. And the google maps applet for example has a much better accuracy. How can i improve the accuracy? I'm using the default gps provider. I saw you can create a Criteria object to get the best provider, but there are only the gps and the mobilephone net providers anyway - so it's some kind of senseless to get the location provider that way....

is there no way to define the needed accuracy?!

Trank you in advance
YoFrankie
YoFrankie
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: how to improve gps accuracy

Postby androit » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:13 pm

You can't define the needed accuracy, what you can is check the accuracy and if it is lower (higher margin of error) don't use that collection.

I found that you can only get driving directions quality accuracy if you set the sampling timer at 0 as after a few collections the GPS auto corrects itself. for example in an app I am doing I am using a 10 min sampling timer which really comes up with nasty accuracy levels >100m but for me it doesn't matter and I prefer not to waste the users battery, however I give them the option to have GPS at 0min sampling.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

YoFrankie wrote:with my locationlistener i get accuracy values about 30-100 m (being on an open field without annoying houses around me disturbing the gps signal). Why is that so bad? I thought you could get an accuracy about 3m with gps. And the google maps applet for example has a much better accuracy. How can i improve the accuracy? I'm using the default gps provider. I saw you can create a Criteria object to get the best provider, but there are only the gps and the mobilephone net providers anyway - so it's some kind of senseless to get the location provider that way....

is there no way to define the needed accuracy?!

Trank you in advance
YoFrankie
androit
Freshman
Freshman

Postby NilsT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 am

You could also apply your own lowpass filter on the GPS position. Typically, you can use Kalman filter for navigation purposes. :wink:
NilsT
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Map Problems