Google maps not up to date?

Put problem concerning MapActivities, MapViews, Overlays and GPS in this forum.

Google maps not up to date?

Postby maverick1989 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:36 pm

So I am getting some of the maps to display with my application, but that is the problem - only SOME of the maps are displaying correctly. Many places show me a screen that says "We do not have imagery for this area", or it just shows a blank screen. I have gotten some places in central Asia (Mongolia, western China etc) to show up and many places in the African deserts. Also the open oceans. One thing I realized is that none of the places that worked had any buildings or habitation in them. Although this seems unlikely, I think it has something to do with the maps of some locations not showing up. I have given my code below. Any help will be appreciated
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  1.                 super.onStart();    
  2.                 LocationManager lm = (LocationManager) getSystemService(Context.LOCATION_SERVICE);     //Allows access to the System Services. Services allow applications to periodically update current location
  3.                 lm.requestLocationUpdates(LocationManager.GPS_PROVIDER, 1000, 1, (LocationListener) this);   //Registers the current activity to be notified periodically by the named provider
  4.                 Location location = lm.getLastKnownLocation(LocationManager.GPS_PROVIDER);     //Returns a Location indicating the data from the last known location fix obtained from the given provider.
  5.                 // Note the order of statements above. Très important!
  6.                 Longitude = location.getLongitude();   //Call getLongitude on object location and store the longitude value into the variable "longitude"
  7.                     Latitude = location.getLatitude();    //Call getLongitude on object location and store the latitude value into the variable "latitude"
  8.                         ImageView imgview = (ImageView)findViewById(R.id.ImageView01);
  9.                         try
  10.                         {              
  11.                                 Drawable image = drawable_from_url("http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?" +
  12.                                 "center=" + Longitude + "," + Latitude + "&zoom=12&size=512x512&maptype=satellite&sensor=false", "src");
  13.                                 imgview.setImageDrawable(image);
  14.             }
Parsed in 0.033 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using xml Syntax Highlighting
  1. <AbsoluteLayout
  2.                 xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
  3.                 android:layout_width="wrap_content"
  4.                 android:layout_height="wrap_content"
  5.                 android:orientation="vertical">
  6.         <ImageView
  7.                 android:id="@+id/ImageView01"
  8.                 android:src="@drawable/purdue"
  9.                 android:layout_width="fill_parent"
  10.                 android:layout_x="0px"
  11.                 android:layout_y="0px"
  12.                 android:layout_height="wrap_content"
  13.                 android:scaleType="fitCenter">
  14.         </ImageView>
  15.         <Button
  16.                 android:text="Back"
  17.                 android:id="@+id/back"
  18.                 android:layout_width="80px"
  19.                 android:layout_x="00px"
  20.                 android:layout_y="400px"
  21.                 android:layout_height="35px">
  22.         </Button>
  23. </AbsoluteLayout>
Parsed in 0.003 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4
maverick1989
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Google maps not up to date?

Postby maverick1989 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Also, if it helps, it was working before I tried getting an API key to use MapView instead. I changed my code back to what it was and it started giving me errors.
maverick1989
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Google maps not up to date?

Postby jonbonazza » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:51 pm

That is very odd... Normally, if it was a key problem, it would ALWAYS show a blank grid... The fact that some areas show correctly and some areas give an error message is just weird!

The first thing I would do is try creating a new keystore and then generating a new API key for that specific keystore.
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Map Problems