[font=Arial Black]Is that possible that develop a open source map API lib (like the google external lib maps.jar) for common J2ME platform?[/font]
You know the source code of maps.jar is private, and the google map service can only be used on android powered platforms via the APIs provided by the maps.jar. other smart phone application developer(Symbian java developers) cannot build their own map app on the S60/80 platforms.
although, android powered devices will be more and more.
but currently, most of smart phone models are not android powered, whereas, common J2ME platform is supported by most smart phones.
So, I wonder is that possible: developing a maps.jar external lib for common J2ME platform.
[font=Arial Black] it manages:
1. local mapview manipulation works (zooming, layering, ...)
2. network communication works towards the google map service.(download and catching map data)
With this lib, common J2ME app developers can build their own map app on most smart phones
[font=Arial Black]The problems we face are:
1. Is there any similar project exists.
2. What is the detailed communication protocol between the maps.jar and google map service
3. Do you have any idea on how to get the source of the maps.jar, so that we can have it as a reference model. May I just de-compile the lib to get the source code for learning?[/font]