Want to Hire: Application for SMS triggerd Alarms

Offer / request Android-related Jobs.
Search for a team or team-members.

Want to Hire: Application for SMS triggerd Alarms

Postby linuxsysengineer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:36 pm

I have a very basic application that I need written for the Android 2.x series OS. The application would watch the SMS inbox for messages containing certain keywords in the message body. Upon detecting a keyword, it takes the action the user desires. It will be used for systems and network administrators like myself. Here are some key design aspects:

* Must be able to create multiple and uniquely configurable rules
* When creating a rule, the user specifies the keywords to watch for (for my use, this keyword will be "LPNagios: PROBLEM")
* The rule must have custom alerting options. The options I would need are:
* Ability to set custom ringtone, volume, and repeating interval. For example, I will want a siren that goes off at the highest possible volume every 5 seconds until the message is marked as Read. This feature is absolutely critical.
* The ability to bypass the phone's current sound profile setting. If the phone is set to vibrate only, I need the alert to bypass this and play the siren as specified. (Note: There is a similar software called SmartAlerts for Blackberry that allows the user to create custom vibrate-only or silent profiles that still allow the alert through. This would be acceptable but seems like overkill.)

The only user-interface that is needed is a screen that allows the user to add/change rules and configure the alerting options. It would be nice to have an icon in the system tray so that the user can be sure that the application is running. Also an enable/disable rules feature would be nice but not necessary.

I am interested in how much you think this application would cost to develop and what the turnaround time would be.

Additionally, as an open-source and free software advocate, I am considering publishing the code under the GPL upon project completion. If you have any issues with this, please let me know. I am not opposed to keeping the sourcecode closed, but I would like for the entire world to enjoy your good work.
linuxsysengineer
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby icobasco » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Interesting app...I think it can takes you 2-3 weeks of work, depending on how strong the rules would be available.
But....I don't understand what you mean with turn back....if you wanna put it unders GPL.....you will not be paid.......did i miss anything?!
icobasco
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Re: Want to Hire: Application for SMS triggerd Alarms

Postby ldrolez » Wed May 19, 2010 1:00 pm

Did you publish your app ?
The Android Open Source ressources and software database.: http://www.aopensource.com/
http://twitter.com/ldrlz
ldrolez
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re:

Postby davmont » Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 am

icobasco wrote:Interesting app...I think it can takes you 2-3 weeks of work, depending on how strong the rules would be available.
But....I don't understand what you mean with turn back....if you wanna put it unders GPL.....you will not be paid.......did i miss anything?!

GPL means "Free as in Freedom"... he may get paid, even if its open-source...

he could publish it in Android market...
davmont
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Want to Hire: Application for SMS triggerd Alarms

Postby ldrolez » Tue May 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Yes and you can also sell a GPL app ! But then anybody can get the source code and distribute it for free :-)
The Android Open Source ressources and software database.: http://www.aopensource.com/
http://twitter.com/ldrlz
ldrolez
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Jobs / Teams