Questions on having games & apps made via freelancers...

Offer / request Android-related Jobs.
Search for a team or team-members.

Questions on having games & apps made via freelancers...

Postby CoolhandLocke » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Hello all, new to the forums & here's my first post. Let me start off by saying, I am new to to the process of getting a game developed, but not new to Android. I'm on my 4th phone in little over a year and work with Android daily. I currently write game & app reviews for a great Android site, and also do freelance writing, beta-testing, and have even done a bit of marketing/consultation on apps. Lately I've been thinking about paying to have a game or application developed, as I just don't' have the free time to learn right now. Being as this is a dev community, I thought it best to ask a few questions here first. I picked this particular board as I want to hear from the people that make the magic happen, not middlemen...

I know you can hire freelance developers, and that you'll get what you pay for. If your wanting an awesome app done for 200 bucks, you'll probably find someone to do it, but not do it well. That being said, nobody wants to drop a few grand on something that is a complete and total gamble in reality. No matter how good you think your idea is, your not going to know until it's finished and on the market.

What would I be looking at "roughly" for a text based simulation game? It would draw names from a database, compile statistics, etc.. I know that's really vague, but it won't be graphic intensive at all. I wanted to use this game as an example, as it would be the simplest one on my list to do.

I'm sure its not standard, but would developers consider doing the work at a discounted rate if the profits from the game were shared/split with them? I'm sure a contract could be drawn up, something to ensure all parties involved receive a share. I'm not trying to get rich lol, I'd just like to see my ideas made reality, and make a little money in the process.

Last but not least, if I had to sub certain parts of the game out to be worked on over time what are the main parts as far as graphics, audio, etc.. I know a few people that do audio, and I can handle any storylines myself. The reason I'm asking this, is I thought if it's too expensive I could have the work done over time. Androids not going anywhere anytime soon lol, just not sure if that is a feasible idea or not...

I have some more questions but those are two of the main ones. I have quite a few good ideas, I'm just a bit unsure of the best way to go about getting them done. My jobs in the Android field are also a plus, as I spend A LOT of time in the markets and have a good feel for what users love or hate about certain games/apps. I also know what hasn't been done yet, or what games missed the mark because they were done poorly or neglected. Any tips or resources you could point me towards would be appreciated, thanks in advance...
CoolhandLocke
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Jobs / Teams