Looking for a tutor

Offer / request Android-related Jobs.
Search for a team or team-members.

Looking for a tutor

Postby Edxactly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm looking to write a small android app. I've been a developer for many years but in older languages.
I'm just looking for someone to guide me along in the design, general understanding, and be someone to bounce question off of.

I'm willing to compensate you for you time. If interested please include what compensation you would require.

-Thanks
Ed
Edxactly
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Looking for a tutor

Postby Schermvlieger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:03 am

Hi Ed,

I know everybody has their own preferred and optimal way of learning things, and this may not be for you; but did you consider doing the tutorials on the Android Developers' website?

http://developer.android.com/resources/ ... world.html

It worked for me; I used this in conjunction with some on-line java introduction resource like the following:

http://www.javabeginner.com/

With previous programming experience - like I had as well - you'll probably fly through most of this material with supersonic speed :-)
Schermvlieger
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby blundell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:51 am

Plus ask us any questions you like, if I catch your thread and know the answer or can point you at the answer I will reply :-)
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby creativensimple » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:30 am

i too agree with the above posts..as you already have experience developing for other languages, developing for android wont be much difficult..if you do want to learn from basics then you can refer some good books like Pofessional android 2 --Wrox publication OR Beginning Android 2 --Apress publication..Hope this helps
creativensimple
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby Edxactly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've set up eclipse IDE, done hello world, etc...

My biggest need for help is to expedite the whole process. I don't have a lot of free time and figure having someone work in conjunction with me on a small project would be the most efficient way.

Actually I'll start right now with a critical question to the app I hope to write.

I want an app that will be notified of incoming text message and allow the message to pass along to the typical text message app the person is using. But from what I have read if I have indicate that my app processes text messages then the user will be prompted to choose mine or their other option. I want more of a background auto-responder service which doesn't interfere with what ever text messaging application they are using.

Thanks
Edxactly
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Schermvlieger » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:45 pm

You could try this:

1. Make your program intercept the corresponding intent broadcast
2. When app is first started, explain to user to choose your app as default handler for SMS
3. When an SMS is received; your app will handle it
4. After your app is finished doing what needs to be done with the SMS, disable your own application via package manager
5. Now raise the SMS intent again (I am not sure if this is possible); the default app will intercept the Intent because your app is disabled
6. Just before finishing your app, reenable it via the package manager
Schermvlieger
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to Jobs / Teams