About the Job
My client is the German leader at broadcasting and commercialising sport in digital media. We currently stream over 15,000 live events each year and have developed over 240 web, video broadband and mobile sites for clients including the Chelsea FC, Spurs, FLi, ATP, Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, and,
Additionally we operate the leading global sports VOD network which streams 40 million on demand sports clips every month.
Perform is investing in its growing mobile division, mobile applications, mobile internet sites and mobile sports services.
As a result of continued growth we are looking to hire a Lead Android Developer who will oversee a growing team of developers to deliver market leading mobile solutions.
The Lead Developer’s key responsibilities include:
- Defining the strategic direction and technical vision for Apple’s mobile operating system – Android’s platforms, applications and services.
- The lead Android developer will provide technical leadership for all Android platforms.
- Ensuring delivery of short, medium and long term milestones along a development roadmap. The roadmap is agreed by the steering committee for the product and the Senior Developer has a key role in advising this group as to feasibility of the plan.
- The lead Android developer will manage the onshore and offshore development using Agile/Scrum. He/She will also be responsible for the mentoring of the development teams.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce and deliver high quality mobile apps within agreed timescales. Technical leadership for all Android platforms and development of key product components.
- This role will require occasional international travel.
SENIOR DEVELOPER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the product managers, Head of Operations and development resources to agree and deliver solutions in line with the delivery “roadmap” for mobile application products, specifically Android smart phones and tablets.
- Develop the technical strategy and provide detailed technical specifications for each product.
- Help to choose a mix of development resources from an appropriate mix of in-house, external, off shore and local talent.
- Guide new developer resources through an appropriate induction program
- Act as a technical gatekeeper for your product: ensure that any projects that affect your product are implemented in accordance with your strategy
- Take responsibility for the quality of the code that affects your product
- Assist junior developers within the team on solutions to technical issues.
- Ensure the estimates given by your development resources are accurate and delivered to
- Ensure your development resources adhere to company policies and procedures and Agile methodology.
- Ensure that your product is tested and documented to a high standard
- Continually strive to improve the companies policies, procedures, guidelines and best practice initiatives
- Regularly meet with developers in other teams to discuss technical issues.
- Manage sprints and review ongoing productivity through daily scrums and burndown charts.
- When required assist with recruitment within the Android development team.
- Develop work packages on time, to a high standard and in line with the roadmap.
- Fully document work so that it can be maintained by colleagues
- Work in a structured environment incorporating: analysis, design, coding standards, code review, unit testing, quality assurance, source code management and documentation
- Adhere to department policies, procedures, guidelines and best practice initiatives
- Contribute to the team by sharing new ideas and technologies in meetings
- Accurately record your time spent on projects and communicate your progress made on tasks
- Take part in regular meetings with the Software Architect and/ or Product Manager
- Work closely with other developers within department to ensure effective code reusability
- Work closely with product managers to clarify specifications and provide accurate estimations
- Work closely with a range of stakeholders to ensure client satisfaction
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- The roadmap for your product is delivered on time and on budget
- Quality, both individually and for products built by the Android team
- Productivity, both individually and for your development resources
- Accurate estimations, both individually and for your development resources
- Delivering to deadlines, both individually and for your development resources
- Contribution to the technical strategy of the company
- Contribution to the efficient running of the company
- At least 3 years of commercial experience developing Android applications (Android smartphones & enhanced tablets)
- Commercial development experience is highly desirable
- Experience in multiple platforms such as Android and Blackberry would be regarded as a bonus.
- Agile development methodology – fast test build projects.
DESIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Android 1.x & 2.x
o Phones, netbooks and tablets
- HTTP & HTTPS protocols
- XML, XSD and JSON
- Internet security standards and best practices
- Unit Testing
- Object oriented design skills
- Extensive knowledge of design patterns
- Problem solving / bug fixing
Feel free to apply at email@example.com