HTC Dream-ing once again?

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

HTC Dream-ing once again?

Postby plusminus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Hello Community,

this could be the many-rumoured HTC-Dream, that is running the latest version of Android (at least a not yet public SDK :!:) :
[align=center]Image

Swivel-Out Keyboard
Image[/align]

A secret video appeared on Youtube, which shows somebody playing around with a device that is probably (or at least really close) to a HTC Dream:
[align=center][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCyceYJRUtE[/youtube][/align]

I did a small comparison with facts we do know. The first images are from the menus. The left one is extracted from the video, the right one is a official screenshot ~ 2 months old. One can easily see many icons that match (even with the poor quality):

[align=center]Device from Video :larrow: :arrow: Real Device
Image Image[/align]

Also the hardware is pretty close to what we could see at GoogleIO ~ 2,5 months ago.
[align=center]Device from Video :larrow: :arrow: Real Device (from GoogleIO)
Image Image[/align]

Its great to see a device that runs a cutting edge SDK :!: :)

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buster » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:47 pm

yay, nice. now please release a new sdk, google.
And please release a htc dream, htc :p

:)
buster
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby inspectorgadjet » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:00 pm

T-Mobile will be the first carrier to offer a mobile phone powered by Google’s Android software, according to people briefed on the company’s plans. The phone will be made by HTC, one of the largest makers of mobile phones in the world, and is expected to go on sale in the United States before Christmas, perhaps as early as October.

more: NY Times

i hope, they will release the phone to Europe as soon as possible...
inspectorgadjet
Freshman
Freshman

Postby mana » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:29 pm

New news:
The only thing holding back the launch of the first Android-powered phone, the HTC Dream, was approval from the Federal Communications Commission. That approval has now come through, and T-Mobile can launch the phone. The filing asks for a November 10 release date... read more
mana
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Andrex » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:54 am

The new SDK is slightly different from this and the I/O version. The "Start Button" as I call it, which brings up all the applications, is now grey and square, and is not a Windows-ish panel with an X at the top-right, but instead a container that can be retracted back to the bottom.

Unfortunately a lot of the applications are missing from the public SDK, which is a downer. Calendar, GMail, Market, IM, and some other key applications are misssing. I have no doubt they'll be included in the 1.0 SDK/actual phone, but it gives us a limited amount of stuff to do with the current SDK. Oh well, hopefully they'll polish each of these up for the final release. :)
Andrex
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to News & Rumors