Google's Android Developers Phone vs. G1?

Google's Android Developers Phone vs. G1?

Postby gauntface » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:45 am

Hey everyone,

I was just curious if anyone had the Developers G1? I don't want to be tied down to a contract for this phone, much rather buy the phone out right and get a nice cheap contract with plenty of minutes, but also still be able to use it for developing (Final year product at Uni).

So does anyone have one?

Main questions I have are:

1. Are updates provided by Google or is it a case of I have to update it myself and run the risk of breaking it?
2. Can I get paid and free apps from the market on it? (I know at one point you couldn't)
3. Are there any other large differences I missing between the dev version and the normal G1?

Cheers,
Matt
gauntface
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Google's Android Developers Phone vs. G1?

Postby iNvAsIoN » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:53 am

gauntface wrote:Hey everyone,

I was just curious if anyone had the Developers G1? I don't want to be tied down to a contract for this phone, much rather buy the phone out right and get a nice cheap contract with plenty of minutes, but also still be able to use it for developing (Final year product at Uni).

So does anyone have one?

1. Are updates provided by Google or is it a case of I have to update it myself and run the risk of breaking it?
2. Can I get paid and free apps from the market on it? (I know at one point you couldn't)
3. Are there any other large differences I missing between the dev version and the normal G1?

Cheers,
Matt

I dont have one, but I can answer your questions.

1. The updates are not provided by Google, but dont fear. The updates for the Android Dev Phone are provided by HTC.
2. It is most unlikely that they would leave out a market for the Android Dev Phone users.
3. The Android Dev Phone is built by Google (I think). The G1 is by HTC. The ADP is SIM-unlocked (use any SIM card on any network). The G1 is tied to T-Mobile. The ADP is hardware-unlocked (can run any OS built for G1), so it cant technically be "rooted." The G1 has to be rooted (and can cause a brick). The ADP has an Android graphic on the back. The G1 has Google on the back. The ADP has a special OS made by HTC; this OS is Android with cupcake based features like an On-Screen-Keyboard that runs when an EditText is click. The G1 is limited to Android (basic). ADP OS comes with the tool "Spare Parts." The G1 doesnt. The ADP was built for developers. The G1 was built for Users.

That should be most (if not, all) of the differences.
(Newby) Android Dev
iNvAsIoN
Freshman
Freshman

Postby nmc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:17 am

> The G1 is tied to T-Mobile.

I buyed a G1 w/o contract and it works just fine with my Vodafone-SIM;

for the 1.0 version, you must have temporary access to a T1 SIM for the first power-on, afterwards the phone works with any SIM;

with the 1.5 update (coming in may) even this will not be necessary, because the google login will not be part of the first power-on process anymore.

I got the 1.0 -> 1.1 OTA update with a Vodafone SIM in my phone.
nmc
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby GermanDev » Sun May 24, 2009 1:48 pm

so is it true that the ADP has a different hardware than the G1?
Is it possible to turn the G1 into an ADP?
GermanDev
Freshman
Freshman

Postby nique21 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:37 pm

GermanDev wrote:so is it true that the ADP has a different hardware than the G1?
Is it possible to turn the G1 into an ADP?

I do have an ADP1. It's not different hardware. It's a completely unlocked G1 with an slightly different color and back cover. The differences with the Dream version of the G1 are also minimal, but in this case, the color of the buttons are also different. Internally though, they are all the exact same hardware. The Magic has more differences: no physical keyboard, double internal memory and slightly more battery. You can convert an ADP1 into a G1 and back. I have received two OTA (Over The Air) updates from google (1.0->1.1 and 1.1->1.5), but I could have gotten both of those directly from HTC's website a couple of weeks before. I don't have to do anything in my ADP1 to get root. I can install the Magic ROM in my ADP1 if I want to.

And that's pretty much it, right? If you have more questions, please ask.
nique21
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby gunnar-medial » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:46 pm

I noticed an odd detail with my ADP1 using its stock 1.0 firmware. If I enabled it to print application trace printouts via the SDK adb tool (normally directed to /dev/null)

$ adb shell stop
$ adb shell setprop log.redirect-stdio true
$ adb shell start
$ adb logcat

then among the rich output I found what looked like OTA activities logged that seem to be about received updates. However none of these printouts seem to be accompanied by any actual updates or user notification occuring. I am not sure though what I was seeing since I use a swedish operator SIM. Is it only U.S operators (T-Mobil/Vodafone??) that carry such OTA traffic ? What is the geographical/country scope of distributing such updates over OTA ?
gunnar-medial
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Google's Android Developers Phone vs. G1?

Postby Openxcell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:36 pm

gauntface wrote:Hey everyone,

So does anyone have one?

Cheers,
Matt

Android Dev Phone 1 is both SIM and hardware unlocked and is available to Android developers who have registered on the Android Market, they can use this for android development.
Updates is not provided by google.
Openxcell
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to HTC Devices