G1 x Android Emulator

G1 x Android Emulator

Postby andreleitao » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:11 pm

How reliable is the Android emulator if it's compared with G1 phone? I mean, the default Android emulator (with no configuration changes) is slower or faster than G1?

andreleitao
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 pm

That's hard to answer, on most systems the emulator will probably be slower, except maybe OpenGL which might be faster on computer. But don't rely on the emulator for any speed references, as any device will always be different.

Also, the G1 is a relatively high end device and other Android devcies might be faster or slower.
MrSnowflake

Postby andreleitao » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 pm

andreleitao
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

devPhone hardware

Postby PI9 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:14 am

Hello,

I'm working on the devPhone for an Android project. I'm trying to implement ,on this new OS, the functions of my current phone (call transfert by "Dual Tone Multi-Frequency") and I need my phone to decode the DTMF tones send by a switchboard.
Therefore,I'd like to have acces to the audio canal in order to get those tones. Could someone tell me if it is possible?
Is there a DTMF decoder or a DSP in the devPhone/G1 which would be accessible with an application ?

Thanks in advance
PI9
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: G1 x Android Emulator

Postby Openxcell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:20 pm

andreleitao wrote:How reliable is the Android emulator if it's compared with G1 phone? I mean, the default Android emulator (with no configuration changes) is slower or faster than G1?

It's really very difficult to answer this, it all depends on what you are using.
Openxcell
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby alisa189 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 am

The emulator is a piece of software (qemu) that is able to run arm instructions on a developer machine using emulation. This means that the emulator will run an android platform similar to what is running on a physical device. This setup is better than using a simulator where the platform is compiled for the development machine and not for the target hardware. There is however a number of limitations such as

* peripheral support - a mobile platform includes a number of companion chips such as bluetooth, wlan, gps, radio access, graphics acceleration etc. All of these are interacting with the main CPU in ways that are not predictable and hard to simulate on the emulator. Some are supported in a limited way such as internet access while others are not supported at all such as bluetooth.
* performance - the emulator is not a real processor and may not use physical accelerators available on an actual device. It also uses the host machine hardware for a lot of things meaning that memory access and similar items behave differently compared with testing on an actual device.

The general rule is that if it is possible try to do as much testing as possible on a device to avoid surprises in the end. The emulator is good for things such as testing general functionality, initial testing to avoid obvious bugs and checking that layouts and UI look decent at different screen sizes. When it comes to any performance critical testing or behaviour when interacting with the outside world, such as network interaction, the emulator is not recommended. It may tell you that your application has serious issues but do not trust "good enough" on the emulator to be good enough for the real world.
alisa189
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby sirena.alex » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:52 am

In my personel experience i would say that real devises are faster and better then emulator, it would depend upon other factors also like no of applications install device etc.
sirena.alex
Freshman
Freshman

Postby davidbw » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:00 am

On a good machine it takes about 35 secs to start the emulator and activity from Eclipse IDE. It is most likely faster than an actual device.
Regards,
David from Android Development Company
davidbw
Freshman
Freshman

Postby hgft » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 am

Coach Outlet Online Sale is with imperfections which consist of cuts, scars, and scratches will exist, the grain in its organically grown problem has between one of the most considerable dietary fibers strength, and getting a last end result between one of the most considerable durability. The grain also has organically grown breathability, resulting in increased comfort using the path from the wearer.

Louis Vuitton Outlet could possibly be one of the most well-known is not necessarily one of the most ideal for you! possibly the most current quarter round shoulder bag with fluorescent color provides you a shine in the moment, desire to possess the urge to it immediately; But possibly your pores and skin color could possibly be the earth beside the handbag could possibly be one of the most make you fondle admiringly joker choice.

Louis Vuitton Outlet supply reduce, the weakening from the role, tiny haystack in slender whole body once more and again. the right way to purchase Louis Vuitton bags That's between the powerful cohesion when Cunningham lancelet find yourself isolated point, allow wind and bad weather insulation, yr pursuing year, pile of grass system earlier short increased grass blanketed with it or bi erosion.

Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck are the proud parents of a newborn son! The 39-year-old actress gave birth to the couple's third child in Santa Monica, Calif., a source tells Us Weekly. The family's newest addition joins older sisters Violet, 6, and Seraphina, 3. “I would have thought [Ben] wanted a boy]. At first … I really thought so,” Jen, who kept the baby's gender under wraps, told Jay Leno last month.
hgft
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to HTC Devices