G1 super unstable for anyone?

G1 super unstable for anyone?

Postby Brandon2520 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:55 am

I just bought a G1 about a month ago to start coding for it. I've been cruising the web and haven't really seen any complaints about it, but has anyone noticed how unstable android is? Or is it possibly just my phone? I have various apps crash 5 to 6 times a day. Most frequently I have the messenger app crash. The most annoying problem I seem to have is that the alarm clock crashes. The past 3 days in a row I've woken up only to my backup (not my g1) alarm because the android alarm app freezes upon launch.

Another complaint is how it stores messages in memory when you aren't viewing them. The phone LAGS like crazy if i let more than 500 messages build up in my inbox. I know why it does this, and the problem can be avoided by keeping my number of texts below 100 at all times.

Anyone else experience this with android or am I lookin at a poopy phone here?
Brandon2520
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:06 pm

What you describe looks like a beta and not a production phone. I guess it's your phone only, but I don't have a G1, so I can't really tell.
MrSnowflake

stability

Postby opencuda » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi, i've bought dev phone 1 from google. My Phone has firmware 1.0. But android on it is very stable. I had no crashes.
"Beep, beep, beep ..."
(Sputnik, 1957)
opencuda
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Maja47 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:15 pm

I bought G1 from google dev machine. It works stable. All system software is working OK. My software is cruses but very very rear and always with reason.

Try to talk with your supplier.
Maja
Maja47
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ash » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Yes I can confirm that. My G1 (android v1) was very slow and lagged alot, especially while scrolling though the main menu (many apps installed). Android 1.5 is a bit faster. But each time I turn the phone on I get an error message about android.core hanging. I have to choose wait then after a few secs it finishes loading ...

Android, though the version is 1.5, is a beta product. I guess until version 2.0 or even 2.5 this will not change ...
ash
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Emmanuel7 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:14 pm

In my experience, when the phone starts to be very laggy and crashed in the core Android features, it is because I have a memory issue.

Remove some app to free as much memory as possible, and check with an application like "task manager" (free on the market ) that you don't have too many activities running on your phone.
In this case, turning off the phone (by a long press on the button ), and turning it on is a very efficient way to clean things up.

The G1 main memory is not that big ( 192 Mo ?? this is what came to my mind ), and application can't be stored on the SD card.
Emmanuel7
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to HTC Devices