Natively work with Sony PMW-200 XDCAM in Final Cut Pro
Summary: Follow this article to know how to convert Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF recordings to FCP for editing with ProRes codec.
I just recently uploaded softwares on my computer, I have a Sony PMW200 that shoots XDCAM file and when I drag them onto my computer there is no video, just an emblem. But, the MB on the emblem shows that it is a video. How can import them into FCP?
Sony PMW-200 XDCAM camcorders' video format is MXF, however, as above, using MXF footage on Mac is a big problem. In fact, Sony PWM-200 XDCAM MXF format is not compatible with Final Cut Pro (including FCP 6/7 and FCP X).
So if you want to easily edit Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF recordings in Final Cut Pro on Mac, you first need to convert Sony PMW-200 MXF video to FCP compatible format like ProRes 422 codec. This is a common format developed by Apple. ProRes 422 is intended for non-linear editing with Apple Final Cut (Pro). It retains higher quality when you convert MXF to ProRes for FCP. Below are some useful tips for you and you will know how to import and edit Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF to Final Cut Pro on Mac.
1.Download Pavtube XDCAM Converter for Mac. This is excellent software which can help you convert Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF video to ProRes for FCP 6/7 and FCP X. Besides, it supports many other formats for output.
2.Install and launch the Professional XDCAM MXF to FCP Converter for Mac, import the MXF video from Sony PMW-200.
3.Choose the best output format for Final Cut Pro. Click on "Format" and choose "Final Cut Pro >>Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov)" format.
4.You can click settings to adjust the output parameters, such as resolution, bitrate and frame rate.
5. You can click edit button to edit MXF video, such as deinterlace, denoise, mute, volume up and crop.
6. Click convert button to start. XDCAM MXF to ProRes Converter will transcode Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF to Apple ProRes codec. After converting, you can import Sony PMW-200 footage to FCP instantly without rendering.
1. This MXF Converter for Mac from Pavtube will retain the timecode for Final Cut Pro after converting. And refer to the picture below to see how this cool mac mxf converting tool keep the timecode for FCP.
2. If you need more powerful converter that can transcode 1080p HD Video, DVD and Blu-ray, you can try iMedia Converter for Mac (get 20% off now).
3. More output formats are supported, you can also read more guides about Sony PMW-200 importing workflow as below:
Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF and Avid MC workflow
Edit Sony PMW-200 XDCAM with Adobe Premiere
Play Sony PMW-200 XDCAM recordings with QuickTime
Source: Easily Editing Sony PMW-200 XDCAM recordings with FCP