Writing app triggering phone alarm on network request

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Writing app triggering phone alarm on network request

Postby Greendrake » Fri May 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to Android willing to write a simple application for personal use on my Samsung Galaxy. I am designing a custom home security installation and one of its parts is that I want to be woken up if any of security cameras detect suspicious motion when I'm asleep.

So, initially we have:
— Android mobile device (MD) connected to local network over wi-fi;
— A network entity (NE) capable to initiate a TCP connection with the MD on certain observed events. We assume that we have full control over what kind of request and information the NE would send to the MD.

The aim is to trigger alarm on the MD when the NE sends a certain request.

Is there any similar applications available already? If not, what tutorials/howtos would you recommend to write this application? I guess it should be just a daemon listening to a TCP port ready to trigger alarm, probably configurable through text files and having only a start/stop control in the UI. Many thanks in advance :) .
Greendrake
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Writing app triggering phone alarm on network request

Postby jakedemus » Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 pm

i don't know how your gona do that man but it sounds class! i can try help, if ya help me out and try my app so I can have some feedback for my final year degree project presentation on Tuesday. My app is downloadable from my app site http://androidlocalholdem.com/
I'd be incredibly greatful and can help ya out with anything - testing etc.
Cheers bud!
jakedemus
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Writing app triggering phone alarm on network request

Postby dipudamodaran » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Hello Greendrake,

I am planning to write an application similar to what you have described. Did u find any resources that could be of some help?
I have a Microcontroller based NE that is connected to some sensors and has to transmit data to a Android MD on some event, this too is a home security project :-) Can i use MD as a TCP server and NE as a Client to transmit data.

Thanks,
Dipu
dipudamodaran
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to General