What works and what doesn't.

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

What works and what doesn't.

Postby DevStomp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and Java (android development). And I'm trying to grasp a few things before I go out and find some videos and tutorials.

First of all, Android apps are Java right... So does everything in Java work in an android app as it would normally say on a Web browser. Also whats the difference between JavaScript and Java?, Can Javascript be used in a android app and is it useful learning it?, because I have a great Javascript (for the web) video course which I could use.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!.
Thanks in advance.
DevStomp
Freshman
Freshman

Re: What works and what doesn't.

Postby liradev » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Java isn't JavaScript.

You use Java for native applications on the Phone and you can acces all the hardware through the API.
JavaScript is normally used within HTML Pages to read out formular data and to send data to the server.
So I would say, JavaScripts main purpose is a language for Web Development.

Android apps are devleoped in Java. That is correct.

You can also use JavaScript to send asynchronous messages to your server. That is a big advantage because then you can only load parts of your webpage instead of loading the complete webpage.

If you make some Google searches you will definitely find some great explanations and just search "Java vs. JavaScript" to get more information on that topic.

Cheers,
liradev
liradev
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to General