What are Accelerometer, location-based services and XMPP?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

What are Accelerometer, location-based services and XMPP?

Postby tv_sathish » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:40 am

Hi all,
Can somebody in this forum kindly explain what are Accelerometer, location-based services and XMPP? What do the location-base services include apart from usual GPS location updates? What does XMPP mean? Is it a messaging protocol aternative to SMTP? Or is it something to do with SMS sending/receiving? Or is it an entirely different "third" type of messaging provided by Android?

As an aside, I read an article by someone by name Peli if I am right, that somewhat hinted that individual developers who participate in this contest stand very less chances for selection no matter what they come up with, as there are companies willing to invest time and money on having dedicated developers to build much larger projects and that these would probably get more attention. Can people in this forum share their thoughts on this? It is surely discouraging given that they are going to select only 50 entries of all that is submitted.

Even otherwise, may be Google should recognize the efforts put in by others in some form (if not all submissions, at least those apps that are good but not the best ones that are finally selected). It need not be a finanical reward but some recognition nevertheless.

I read somewhere on one of the Google pages that Google is planning to reward design ideas too even if they aren't backed by running programs? Can somebody provide the URL of the page where we can submit such design ideas?

Thanks and regards,
TVP
tv_sathish
Developer
Developer

Postby russoue » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:11 am

XMPP is a messaging protocol which is open to all. Google talk uses XMPP. There are many other messengers which use this protocol. It is not proprietary protocol of Google. It is not email or sms, just instant messaging.

To know about accelerometer, you can go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer
russoue
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General