What Android should we be targeting.

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

What Android should we be targeting.

Postby Rubicon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi all,
I'm writing the Android version of a successful iPhone game app and I'd like to know what specs/Android version I should be aiming for.

The iPhone app required GLES 1.1. Does this mean I can target a all Android phones from (say) v2.1 onwards and know for sure they will support GLES 1.1?

Are more modern phones backwards compatible with GLES1.1, or should we forget GLES1.1 and got straight for GLES2.0 phones (is the market base there?)

Many thanks for your help,

Steve.
Rubicon
Freshman
Freshman

Re: What Android should we be targeting.

Postby Faded9 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 pm

If you want to target OpenGL ES 1.1 you can set your target to 1.6, everything from then on will be compatible with it. Everything after Android 2.1 is compatible with OpenGL ES 2.0. So it's basically weighing being available for Android 1.6 phones or using OpenGL ES 2.0.

Keep in mind that as of just a couple days ago, the market of Android 1.6 phones is at 3.5%, and of course is decreasing. If you have any real reason to use OpenGL ES 2.0 over 1.1 then it may just be better to take that route, if not (and since you've already made the game with 1.1 before) you could work off of 1.6.
Faded9
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: What Android should we be targeting.

Postby Rubicon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:28 am

Great, thanks for that. I think we'll support post 1.6 in light of this.

Steve.
Rubicon
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General