UI Guidelines - multiple selection?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

UI Guidelines - multiple selection?

Postby plnelson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm just learning Android development and I've been downloading apps onto a Droid Incredible to play with. I have a question about UI Guidelines.

To start with, does Google have a set of UI / UX guidelines more detailed than http://developer.android.com/guide/prac ... esign.html ?

My specific question is what the recommended guideline is for multiple selection of a list of items. Say I'm displaying a list of 10 MP3 files and I want to select 5 of them for some action. What is Android's guideline for the recommended way to do this? (I search for 'selection' in the above and didn't find it) Thanks in advance.
plnelson
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: UI Guidelines - multiple selection?

Postby jonbonazza » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:20 pm

The best way would be with checkboxes.
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby plnelson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:29 pm

jonbonazza wrote:The best way would be with checkboxes.

Thank you, but just to be clear about my question - I'm not asking for advice or opinions about the best way to do it; I'm asking whether Google/Android has published guidelines on this.
plnelson
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby jonbonazza » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh sorry. I misunderstood your question. In that case, the answer is no. When it comes to guidelines, Google doesn't provide much on any aspect of the SDK. The stuff found on the devvelopers' page is mere example code and, more often than not, is not very good code. I would not take anything you find on the developers' page as a "guidline," but more of "something that works, but should probably be refactored."

I hope this information helps!
jonbonazza
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to General