Third Party APK Distribution, Legal?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Third Party APK Distribution, Legal?

Postby By60 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:45 am

Hi everyone, I was recently contacted by an outside company who asked me to release one of my apps to their online community. I've read through most of Google's Android Terms-of-Service and haven't found much about third-party distribution (in other words, not on the Android Market). Other legal things like copyright protection will be my concern later on, but I'm asking this to see if anyone believes that, according to Android's TOS, you are not allowed to release APKs you have made to third-party companies.

I've verified that this company is not affiliated with Google, and appears to be an international (outside the US, for me) company. However, after visiting their website and getting a few legal forms from them, they appear to be legitimate. I know that should, but I haven't directly contacted Google to see what their take on this is yet; probably because I think it would take too long and be more of a hassle.

So could anyone provide me with their opinions, and share any stories if this has happened to you before?
By60
Developer
Developer

Re: Third Party APK Distribution, Legal?

Postby shipbrother » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:14 am

You are as an author and copyright holder of the app decide where and how to distribute your app.
Of course if it is _your_ app and not the one that you, for example, developed for some company and that company holds all copyrights.
So, as far as I know, Google do not place any limitations on how you distribute your apps.
shipbrother
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Third Party APK Distribution, Legal?

Postby By60 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:18 am

Thanks a lot! I read a few articles about this from other people and it seems ok too.
By60
Developer
Developer

Return to General