The power of Android

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

The power of Android

Postby Jesmiatka » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:15 am

Hi guys!

Today I was thinking "What is actually the power of Android?".
Then I tried to think of the real power and I only came with things as
  • It uses JAVA
  • It's open source
  • It controls all the processes for making memory space.
  • Ability to run processes on the background.
  • All applications are equal

Does anyone know all the powers of Android or can link me to an interesting post or blog that tells more?

[edit]
changed some "powers"!
[/edit]
Last edited by Jesmiatka on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesmiatka
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Ishtar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:24 pm

I don't want to start a discussion about open vs closed source.. Open source has advantages and disadvantages, but android will be the firstopen source platform. So I'd say it is a power :wink:

Whats wrong with java anyway? It might be "slow", but it's easier for programmers. I don't like writing memory managers all the time and not everyone keeps track of their pointers.. Or do you prefer something else than java or c/c++?

Ishtar
Ishtar
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Jesmiatka » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Well I see those things (JAVA, open source) as a plus, but not really as a power.

I think JAVA is very populair at the moment (I prefer like to write in it as well) and that it's a good use in an environment as one like this, but can we see this as a power?

The memory manager IS a power in my opinion for the reason you stated, but are there more powers like this?
And when are you gonna hear: This applications bring forth the power of Android.
Jesmiatka
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Hello Jesmiatka,

I do think OpenSource is a plus, because you can have a look at the sources (awesome sentence :roll:) i.e. when something weird happens within the System. You can easily determine the bug and could even submit a fix-suggestion to Google.

Java is not as slow as everyone thinks, you'll find on-the-fly optimization to the underlying hardware (don't know if dalvik does this also) what you won't find in native applications. (Like: "Hey there are two registers more than I though, lets us them.")

Android biggest power is its simplicity. I mean, almost all applications/tutorials here have been done within less than 2 hours of coding. You can create a content rich application within a handful of codelines/minutes.

Some things to think about also:
Every Application is equal! Replace what you want...
Intent-Based communication...

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ishtar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:44 pm

I see what you mean. But I don't think it really got a power, it's just another way to make programs for a phone. I do think, its a very nice api however, with the intents and contentproviders. Since it's open source we really need a way to communicate with other programs, and this is perfect for the job. There is no power any end-user will see, but we see it when we program :wink: Try j2me if you think I'm talking blabla. :P

Ishtar
Ishtar
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Jesmiatka » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Indeed, these are good points about Android and I think we can seriously count the simplicity as a power or maybe even the power of Android. I reckon you can even give someone, with some decent coding experience which doesn't even have to be JAVA, a laptop, a chair, the api and eclipse and he can build his own application without too many problems.

@Ishtar:
I've heared J2ME is a pain in the ass so I really don't think you talk nonsense ;-)
Jesmiatka
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to General