Some basic questions, please somebody reply... Options

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Some basic questions, please somebody reply... Options

Postby tv_sathish » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:44 am

Hi,
I have the following basic questions, please somebpdy reply and help me:

[align=justify]1. How to simulate outgoing call and a message? Please give explanations for both.
2. How can a device be identified if it has to communicate with another device across network? If it is uding the
phone number, how do we simulate a communication with another device across the network? Can somebody
in this forum provide details of their device, so that I can test my app across network.
3. I am working from home, having only dialup Internet access to test any network functionality. Is it advisable
to just test my apps using simulations for incoming calls/messages and not test it over actual network before
submitting for the contest?
4. I have been had a system crash and installed Vista OS. So my system speakers aren't recognized. But even
when I had a stable system few days back (Windows XP), I could not test any ringer functionality. Ringer
works for incoming calls only, right?
5. Is Android workable with Windows Vista?
6. Is Android only a device platform or can servers also use it?
7. Can somebody explain how SMS works in actual mobile world (how the messages are identified, how they are
processed, where they are sent to and how they reach actual destination). How are they able to carry
something like a ringtone also as a message? So how are messages represented? How is it different from
transmission of voice signals?
8. How does messaging work in Android world?
9. Is Speech Recognition not available in latest release? Does it mean Speech to Text conversion can't be done?[/align]

Thanks and regards,
TVP
tv_sathish
Developer
Developer

Re: Some basic questions, please somebody reply... Options

Postby plusminus » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Hello tv_sathish,

I'll answer as good as possible (the links go to tutorials here on anddev):
tv_sathish wrote:1. How to simulate outgoing call and a message? Please give explanations for both.

:src: Replacing the DIAL-Action.
:src: How to send SMS.
tv_sathish wrote:2. How can a device be identified if it has to communicate with another device across network? If it is using the
phone number, how do we simulate a communication with another device across the network? Can somebody
in this forum provide details of their device, so that I can test my app across network.

:src: Getting the IMSI / IMEI (SIM/Device unique IDs).
tv_sathish wrote:3. I am working from home, having only dialup Internet access to test any network functionality. Is it advisable
to just test my apps using simulations for incoming calls/messages and not test it over actual network before
submitting for the contest?

Your application doesn't have to be finished to apply for the contest :!: What is important is the idea behind :!:
Googles idea behind the money is that you create the finished application with it.
tv_sathish wrote:4. I have been had a system crash and installed Vista OS. So my system speakers aren't recognized. But even
when I had a stable system few days back (Windows XP), I could not test any ringer functionality. Ringer
works for incoming calls only, right?

Ringing on incoming Voice-Calls works fine for me :!:
Perhaps you forgot "-useaudio":
:src: Simulating incoming Phone Calls / SMS via CMD.
tv_sathish wrote:5. Is Android workable with Windows Vista?

Yes very fine. I'm experiencing no critical bug at all.
tv_sathish wrote:6. Is Android only a device platform or can servers also use it?

Designed for Mobile Devices. I wouldn't use it for servers, because in almost every case, emulation is to slow!
tv_sathish wrote:7. Can somebody explain how SMS works in actual mobile world (how the messages are identified, how they are
processed, where they are sent to and how they reach actual destination). How are they able to carry
something like a ringtone also as a message? So how are messages represented? How is it different from
transmission of voice signals?

Searching Google probably provides better information than I can here.
tv_sathish wrote:8. How does messaging work in Android world?

When an SMS arrives an MESSAGE_RECEIVE-Intent is broadcasted.
For sending-issues have a look here: :src: How to send SMS. (You get notified of Succes/Failure if you want to.)
tv_sathish wrote:9. Is Speech Recognition not available in latest release? Does it mean Speech to Text conversion can't be done?

Official answer:
That's a great question. Unfortunately we don't know the answer to that
right now.

We will add the voice-recognition APIs as soon as they are ready, but we
don't have any information on when that will happen.

- Dan

Hope most of your issue got clear now.

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some basic questions, please somebody reply ..

Postby tv_sathish » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:25 pm

`Hi Plusminus,
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and bear with me for the late reply. From what I understand of your reply, you seem to indicate that actual code submissions aren't actually needed for the challenge? Don't we have to submit some running working code that demonstrates our idea using some visible output? After all they have provided the SDK and given so many tips on how to write our programs to be efficient? I probably think it is a coding challenge. Are you indicating of the other initiative of Google where they are rewarding design ideas separately (those ideas that may or may not be backed by actual programs and are rewarded accordingly). Are you referring to that or are you meaning the main challenge itself does not require full-fledged project and that the SDK and other things are provided just to validate your ideas? Kindly clarify this as authentically as possible, because then probably I can focus on the idea itself rather than spending time on "How-to do" things in Android?

Secondly, right now, I am finding it pretty tough to find out what is and what not is in the scope of Android? Can you give me some pointers on the scope of apps that one can come up for submitting in this contest? I am actually very unclear on that part and getting stuck.

One of the basic questions in the broader sense is that can you develop network applications where one device talks to another? Or the Android SDK allows to just test apps that run within the emulator (or multiple emulator instances)? OK, let me put it this way, can one emulator instance talk to another that is running somewhere else (not on the desktop system where you are testing your app), through the Internet?

Expecting your help and reply,

Thanks and regards,
TVP
tv_sathish
Developer
Developer

Play a recorded vocie on a phone call..

Postby parashar.iiit » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:40 am

Hello plusminus,
Can we play a recorded voice over a call. Like answering machine does ??

Thanks
Abhinav Parashar
parashar.iiit
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to General