Slew of Java problems

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Slew of Java problems

Postby phix » Thu May 13, 2010 12:45 am

I wasn't sure where to put this as it's not necessarily a specific problem more than a Java/Path/JRE issue that's bubbling down to development.

I've been encountering problems with developing Android apps for about 2 months. I think it started when I upgraded my JRE, but I don't know for sure.

The first problem I ran into was Eclipse stopped working. It gives the error screen I've attached. Some people had success editing the config file, taking out or changing values, but these didn't work for me. It seems like Eclipse doesn't know that I have the correct JRE installed (by the requiredVersion in the message box) but I do. I've tried adding/removing Java a few times now. Then, Photoshop stopped correctly saving my images, complaining of a ".jpg (or whatever ext I'm trying to use) already exists..." error. I don't know why the two would be related, but some searching for that brings back a corrupt/conflicting registry possibility.

So I decided to use NetBeans and develop in there. I like Eclipse better, but whatever works, right? NetBeans worked for a while, but upon running apps in the emulator, the Log window now outputs nothing, or a device not found error.

I tried going to add/remove and taking out the last installed version (Update 18), but the .msi cannot be found, and upon searching my system the .msi doesn't exist anywhere.

So my question is, how do I completely purge ALL references to Java anything and start fresh? I've been struggling trying to find solutions, none of which work. I'm this close to reinstalling windows, but I really... really... don't want to go through that hassle again considering I have RAIDs and a slew of other things I need to make sure work correctly.

Any ideas?
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (98.32 KiB) Viewed 241 times
phix
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby phix » Sat May 15, 2010 6:02 am

Never found the solution but after a fresh install of windows, the problem persisted when using the 64 bit version of the jre. Uninstalling and using the 32 bit version works fine. So far. It doesn't explain what got corrupted causing photoshop to stop appending extensions though.
phix
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: Slew of Java problems

Postby pavan42800 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:38 pm

the above error is raised when you have java 1.6instead of java 1.5( u mentioned u did an update).
android requires java 1.5 because @Override is not supported in 1.6.
pavan42800
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby phix » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 am

Mmm.... I'm clearly not an expert but that doesn't sound right. My understanding of the error was the need for at LEAST 1.5, and for whatever reason the 64 bit version of the JRE wasn't getting read by eclipse. I'm running the 32 bit version 1.6 just fine now.
Posting questions without code is like going to the doctor and saying "it hurts, fix it."
phix
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby shipbrother » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:09 am

Hi
1. Try to scan you computer for viruses. Some stuff you mention (like disappearing, already existing files) may be cause by some malicious programs.
2. Log in LogCat sometimes really disappears even in Eclipse - that's ok.
3. I would recommend you not to lose time and reinstall completely Java and Eclipse. And better if you reinstall your OS as well. Something weird is happening, so reinstall is the most reliable solution :)
shipbrother
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General