Publishing with different API levels

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Publishing with different API levels

Postby samiz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:53 pm

Android documentation states:

"Selecting a platform version and API Level

In general, you should compile your application against the lowest possible version of the platform that your application can support.

You can determine the lowest possible platform version by compiling the application against successively lower build targets. After you determine the lowest version, you should create an AVD using the corresponding platform version (and API Level) and fully test your application."

Suppose my app has minimum SDK version 4 and I publish my application, and a user has SDK version 8. He can definitely use my application but he wont get any performance improvement in the API (SDK 8 ).

Am not I depriving users of any performance improvements (if any, in SDK 8 ) despite that the user has SDK 8 on his phone, but my application is build against SDK 4?

How to address this problem? One way is to build application against all possible SDKs levels and publish them. Is it a good approach?

Thanks,
Samiz
samiz
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Publishing with different API levels

Postby MichaelEGR » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:30 pm

>Am not I depriving users of any performance improvements (if any, in SDK 8 ) despite that the user has SDK 8 on his phone, but my application is build against SDK 4?

The benefits of Froyo / 2.2 / API level 8 is inherent in the Dalvik VM itself and users running Froyo will have drastically increased performance due to the JIT compiler. There is no need to target a higher API level to gain the benefits of running on a more recent version of the VM. The same applies with desktop Java. I still target API 3 as the lowest and things work great with Froyo (x2-5 increase). A 3D level that took 19 seconds on the N1 to load with 2.1 took 10 seconds with 2.2 without any modifications and the engine targets API level 3.
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to General