Problems of running Android apps on Android 2.1 phone

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Problems of running Android apps on Android 2.1 phone

Postby android_app » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:41 am

Hi, as a newbie to Android development, I would like to enquire for any general limitations and issues of running Android apps on Android 2.1 smartphone? Can anyone share his/her thoughts?

There is limited information in "Best Practices" of Developer Android forum developer.android.com/guide/practices/design/performance.html

Would appreciate if you can give more things for us to consider, eg. any memory usage limitation, device-specific Android 2.1, ...etc?
android_app
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Problems of running Android apps on Android 2.1 phone

Postby blundell » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Why are you thinking 2.1 is specifically different to previous and future releases?
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby android_app » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:28 am

Hi, blundell, I am thinking of developing a new Android app on Android 2.1 platform because, as at today, the majority of Android-powered smartphones are installed with Android 2.1 platform.

Just want to know any special performance and/or security issues and/or limitations in general.
android_app
Freshman
Freshman

Postby blundell » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:16 am

If your supporting 2.1 you may as well support 2.2 and double your customer base. I don't see why you should leave out 1.5> though, unless you find something you specifically need in the API's.

http://developer.android.com/resources/ ... sions.html

2.2 gives you the best performance updates, but this is the OS not your code so no need not to support 1.5.
I haven't read of any security issues as of 1.5>
They're are no limitations of 1.5 that are MAJOR drawbacks, you can do most things in this version. Although you can do some of them easier in 2.2

But you can also just limit the functionality of 1.5 uses whilst still giving them an app to download (and also a reason to upgrade!) using reflection.

Check out this presentation:
Casting a wide net for all Android devices:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmohaZYvPw
Reflection specifically:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmohaZYvPw#t=35m24s

This gives you idea's about using reflection to allow your 2.2 users to have the latest features whilst still supporting other versions.

On a side note, if you want to view more of these presentations, especially on your phone! Check out:
Google Dev Helper
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to General