Overwrite Default Missing Menus on Google Android

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Overwrite Default Missing Menus on Google Android

Postby Katharnavas » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:22 am

Hi,
I came to notice that all the google widgets are losing the default menu controls. For example (TextView and EditText) should have atleast default options for selecting the text, copy,paste and clear the text. Which is very essential.
Or really am i missing to locate the shortcuts ?

If not so and if google have missed it accidentally. Is there any provision to add these menu to the widgets directly.. Im not asking about my application bcoz i can implement in my apps. But im asking for default applications and other applications so that whoever uses textview will get these menus added.. So that if i find a text to copy from some views and make use of it there is no need for retyping the whole message..

Looking for suggestions and help how to overcome this...
Katharnavas
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby faldureon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:37 am

There is no clipboard object in android so all copying and pasting would have to be implemented by the developer. Another reason why EditText does not come with copy/paste functionality is that EditText is a view and menus are activity specific. Checking every time a view is selected whether or not it is an EditText and then adding menu items for copying and pasting to the activities menu based on that is guaranteed to be slow.
faldureon
Developer
Developer

Postby Katharnavas » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:19 am

faldureon wrote:There is no clipboard object in android so all copying and pasting would have to be implemented by the developer. Another reason why EditText does not come with copy/paste functionality is that EditText is a view and menus are activity specific. Checking every time a view is selected whether or not it is an EditText and then adding menu items for copying and pasting to the activities menu based on that is guaranteed to be slow.

I could understand what you are trying to explain. We can have our own shortcut menu written for a edittext in our application but what i need is that shortcut should be present in all the edittext.. How google missed that option. If i wanna copy something from a view in other application so that i could fed that as input for some other application how could i ? The only thing is i have to retype all the things.
Katharnavas
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby plusminus » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:53 pm

Hey guys,

I think (hope) there will be such a feature, not to hard to implement a text-clipboard ;) for the developers.
Perhaps we will be able to drag-drop texts with touch-functionality in the final versions of the sdk/androidOS :)

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katharnavas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:55 am

plusminus wrote:Hey guys,

I think (hope) there will be such a feature, not to hard to implement a text-clipboard ;) for the developers.
Perhaps we will be able to drag-drop texts with touch-functionality in the final versions of the sdk/androidOS :)

Regards,
plusminus

If so in the final version then it will be really useful for all. so we have to wait for the final version to have this feature? :shock:
Katharnavas
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby plusminus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Hello Katharnavas,

I don't know (hope not), I also do not have a secret contact at google ;)

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Katharnavas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:02 pm

plusminus wrote:Hello Katharnavas,

Regards,
plusminus

Let it not be ? But let us hope for the best !
Katharnavas
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby plusminus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:19 pm

Katharnavas wrote:
plusminus wrote:Hello Katharnavas,

Regards,
plusminus

Let it not be ? But let us hope for the best !

I meant "I hope that we do not have to wait long for this" :)
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General