Open source / using code someone else is charging for

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Open source / using code someone else is charging for

Postby untogethered » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi guys,

I use an Android app called EasySMS a lot- it's basically a web interface to your phone's SMS system. You can read, send, etc. from your desktop browser. There are two things about it that bug me:

1. The interface is pretty terrible. I'm a web developer (C#) by trade, so I'd love to be able to improve on it.
2. It isn't open source. It used to be, on Google Code, and the old source is in SVN... it's the only app I've given permission to read my inbox, and not to sound too paranoid, but I want make sure I know what it's doing.

Now, I'm keen to get into Android development, and this seems like a great project for me- get to grips with Android while using my web development skills to polish the front-end interface. But what is the legality surrounding this code? The developer has specifically closed the source (he was asked why here, but he offered no reason), and he charges for a 'pro' version of his app. Even with legal issues aside, what is the community's take on this? Just because I can get away with it doesn't mean that I should- I'm curious to know what people think about the idea of me taking code someone else is charging for and developing a separate product.
untogethered
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Open source / using code someone else is charging for

Postby blundell » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm sure he has changed the code since he is now charging. So I would say there is nothing wrong with taking the free code from the google SVN and playing with it yourself.

If you then go on to charge for this tho, I would say atleast give him some recognition.
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to General