Newbie question about Android Market

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Newbie question about Android Market

Postby pofak » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:23 am

Hi,

This is my first post as you can see. I am planning to develop 2-3 apps and put it in market and have a few questions. I have searched the net and could not find simple answers to these questions.

1- Is there any site that lists the steps to get an app to market? I looked at the help on android.com. Is that all it involves?
2- What is the minimum cost to put an app on the market? I have seen the $25 registration fee. Any other fee?
3- I don't have an Android phone yet. Is there any site that I can search and read about existing apps and their prices?

Any help is really appreciated.
pofak
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Newbie question about Android Market

Postby nhenze » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:41 am

pofak wrote:1- Is there any site that lists the steps to get an app to market? I looked at the help on android.com. Is that all it involves?

Not sure how many steps but if you have your credit card and google account ready (and don't want to read the "Distribution Agreement") it takes ~1-5 minutes to setup your developer account. If you have title, screenshots, and description for your app it takes ~1-5 minutes to publish it.

pofak wrote:2- What is the minimum cost to put an app on the market? I have seen the $25 registration fee. Any other fee?

thats all

pofak wrote:3- I don't have an Android phone yet. Is there any site that I can search and read about existing apps and their prices?

http://www.androlib.com/
nhenze
Freshman
Freshman

Postby pofak » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:32 am

nhenze, your response was so quick and so helpful. Thanks.
pofak
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby pofak » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:27 am

I have some of more questions

1- Can all the Android phones buy from Google market? If not, is it based on the phone or carrier?

2- Where else you suggest to load apps to sell?

3- How up-to-date is the number of app sold on the Google account? Is it live or updated daily or what?

Thanks again.
pofak
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby WulfDroid » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 am

All Android phones have access to the Android marketplace. To add on your question (if anyone out there knows), I wanted to know if you have to actually have cell phone service to access the marketplace? Or can you just use Wifi.

I am asking because I want to develop on Android and get an Android phone, but I don't want to get new cell service. I was thinking of just buying an Android phone and using Wifi to get apps, test them, check them out, etc. Is this viable? Anyone know?
-Wulf
WulfDroid
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Emmanuel7 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 am

Not all phones have access to market, and not all phone with access to Android Market have access to all the application of the market !
Actually it is more a division by countries and by carriers : for a lot of countries, the Android market is not available, and for some country, the payment system is not up, so only free applications are available.

Also, for some reaons, carrier can forbid protected applications.

As for Wifi, I think there is no trouble using it ( although I can't be assertive on this one )
Emmanuel7
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to General