Need stats on which android phones have dpad, accelerometer

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Need stats on which android phones have dpad, accelerometer

Postby ameetnsharma » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:09 am

And how many people have those phones...

Appreciate any help.

I'm having trouble finding this info...
ameetnsharma
Developer
Developer

Postby MichaelEGR » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 am

As far as I am aware there is no one stop location for finding this info or a well organized database... "Until soon".. I am releasing a comprehensive framework via a slightly modified MIT license called Typhon for real time app/game dev Q1 this year. Typhon4Android includes many additional resources for being able to define input controls and even built in input control configuration so developers don't have to build this themselves and users will have a nice standard way to define key and other controls (touch or acceleration sensitivity, etc). An additional configuration file is used with Typhon that can define key defaults and other parameters filtered by OS version, device family, and/or specific device. This way an app built with Typhon can have reasonable defaults 1st time the user opens it up. One of the neat features of Typhon is the ability for end users to crowdsource input configurations for a given device then submit their configuration along with device info via web service to a database that will run on www.typhon4android.org. Developers can turn off this feature, but I'll have it turned on in the tutorial demo suite/apps for Typhon. This will be an open database for any developer to grab key and other configuration such as input sources like dpad or trackball for the larger ecosystem of devices. In addition the Typhon4Android site is going to feature some great 2D/3D gaming resources and a series of comprehensive tutorials.

So yes what you are searching for is coming and it'll be available for all to use and contribute to... soon..
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby ameetnsharma » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:48 am

MichaelEGR wrote:As far as I am aware there is no one stop location for finding this info or a well organized database... "Until soon".. I am releasing a comprehensive framework via a slightly modified MIT license called Typhon for real time app/game dev Q1 this year. Typhon4Android includes many additional resources for being able to define input controls and even built in input control configuration so developers don't have to build this themselves and users will have a nice standard way to define key and other controls (touch or acceleration sensitivity, etc). An additional configuration file is used with Typhon that can define key defaults and other parameters filtered by OS version, device family, and/or specific device. This way an app built with Typhon can have reasonable defaults 1st time the user opens it up. One of the neat features of Typhon is the ability for end users to crowdsource input configurations for a given device then submit their configuration along with device info via web service to a database that will run on www.typhon4android.org. Developers can turn off this feature, but I'll have it turned on in the tutorial demo suite/apps for Typhon. This will be an open database for any developer to grab key and other configuration such as input sources like dpad or trackball for the larger ecosystem of devices. In addition the Typhon4Android site is going to feature some great 2D/3D gaming resources and a series of comprehensive tutorials.

So yes what you are searching for is coming and it'll be available for all to use and contribute to... soon..

This is fantastic. Looking forward to it. It's a major headache having to deal with all the different varieties of android devices.
ameetnsharma
Developer
Developer

Postby MichaelEGR » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:06 am

Right on... I know Typhon is going to fill a big gap with Android real time app/game dev and I'm very excited to finish all the testing and such getting things public; Typhon has been in development for 7+ years (used internally and I had other full time jobs at the same time) and was ported from the desktop. You might interested to also learn that Typhon supports devices without a keyboard automatically providing 2D or 3D touch based navigation overlays. I'm just finishing up that functionality along with a MD5 checksum oriented FileManager that can assist in storing game or large assets on the SD card and be able to verify that the resources exist on program startup or require the user to download them again. I'm aiming to support Amazon S3 initially to host game assets remotely. Essentially those last two major features are being completed with a lot of testing across ~6+ devices running 1.5/1.6/2.0.1/2.1 OSes before a closed beta will be available. The last really cool thing is that Typhon is component oriented (OSGi), so you only need to take what you need and not the whole kitchen sink thus enabling small apps sizes especially with offloading game assets to the SD card. Essentially an app with Typhon needs nice splash screen resources and the raw app code and the rest is on the SD card. The initial beta release will just be raw jar files (which are components in OSGi via a little extra info in the manifest), but by version 1.0 OSGi support will be built in via Apache Felix.
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to General