Native application VS Web-based app (not mobile website)

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Native application VS Web-based app (not mobile website)

Postby stece » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm trying to figure something out for a while now. What are the pros and cons for developing a native Android or iPhone application and pros/cons for developing a application using a web based platform such as PhoneGap or Titanium.

The obviously con of a native android/iPhone application is that you only develop for 1 type of device. However this application has better performance etc than the web based application, if I'm not mistaken.

Also I got the feeling that when you develop with a platform like PhoneGap you're always a bit behind the new technologies because when for example Google or Apple releases new API's, those platforms still have to integrate it in their platform. I think about for example NFC.

Every time if I google "Native vs Web", I find comparisons between native applications and online web application for the browser. So you need to visit a URL. I mean the applications from platforms such as PhoneGap/Titanium.

Someone that can clarify this a bit more or that has a link to a blog/website that discusses this very detailed?

Thx!
stece
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to General