Message "Demo Purpose Only" ... Please Help !

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Message "Demo Purpose Only" ... Please Help !

Postby Superior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:15 am

Hi all you guys !... :)

I just got this 7" Android Tablet from eBay with the following info:

Model name: MID (M 70003)
the following is from the settings section "About Device":
Firmware Version: 1.6
Kernel version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty ... (??!) :shock:
Build number: 1.7.2

The device seems to work ok but the thing is that it displays on the top left screen's corner in red color the phrase "Demo Purpose Only" ... (which drives me mad since it's in all screens ! ... everywhere, always on, no matter what screen I look at !) and I really need to get rid of it). :oops:

Does anyone know how can I do that ? ... i.e. could I flash again Android's previous version 1.5 (instead of the 1.7 it now has in) as it looks like something is going on with its "licenses validation", will this solve the problem or is there another much easier way ? Could I also upgrade to the latest Android versions beyond 2.0 ? :?

Many thanks in advance you guys ! :)
Superior
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Message "Demo Purpose Only" ... Please Help !

Postby anarche » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 pm

Firstly its android 1.6, the 1.7.2 is the hardware build.

Second that dirty means that its a promo tablet and hasn't been bugbusted (cleaned) properly. I'm not 100% on this, but thats my bet. So its a promo tablet that was never meant for public use.

If you want to get rid of that demo thingy you'll need to root it and install your own rom. start with v2.2, see if that works and if not work your way down. skip 2.0 and go straight from 2.1 -> 1.6. Bear in mind that, since this is a demo, there may be driver or hardware issues that haven't been sorted out.

Can I ask what kind of tablet it is? is it this one
anarche
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby Superior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Anarche and thank you very much for your input ! :)

Well, I'd love to root this thing but I'm not sure how, I guess I'll have to start looking for instructions for a suitable Rom, etc ? ... perhaps you could give me a direction (i.e. 1-2 links) on how to root it ? :shock:

The tablet is exactly this one: (I didn't understand what your two links meant on its ID, sorry Anarche, but please take a look at the 4 links below):
http://itechwire.org/10703963/m70003-mi ... -ipad.html
http://chinagrabber.com/buy-orphan-iped ... 70003.aspx
http://www.prlog.org/10705182-m70003-mi ... -ipad.html
http://gadgetgreats.com/m70003-iped-mid ... -iped.aspx

This thing sells in eBay A LOT over the last 2-3 weeks (for less than $100 USD), serach eBay with keywords "Android tablet" and it'll come up (dozens and dozens of new items daily). :!:

The device comes with USB cable and microSD slot (up to 32GB SDHC) so I hope there must be a way (using either USB or SD) for someone to root it somehow ? :idea:

I've already sent an email to the eBay seller in Hong Kong asking them if they know a way to get rid of the message, waiting for them to get back to me.

Otherwise everything else seems to be working ok, WiFi and everything works well in my home network, ok there's an issue really with its AppStore (it's NOT the well known Android Market !) and has fewer apps and many are in Chinese too. But I guess I can always pass some free apps via the USB or the SD method as raw ".apk" files, no ? (haven't tried this yet but I've read somewhere that it can be done if I understood well) :roll:
Superior
Freshman
Freshman

Postby anarche » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:14 pm

You can certainly bust your own apps in there (adb install <insert app here>).

It wouldn't have the market because its an chinese knock-off. Does it have (the official) GMaps?

Frankly I've never heard of it, but I don't go for knock-offs.

A quick google'll find you some ROMs, it's dubious whether it'll work on this. I haven't rooted my phone, but I suspect someone here can help. Otherwise there's pages out there for Android rooting..

and I just found this on their page
Google Android 1.7.2 O/S
. LOL! Doesn't exist.

Good luck. Please let me know how you get on.
anarche
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby Superior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Thank you very much again Anarche. I see what you mean. :?

I've sent you by PM the link to that exact item where you can see its full details and also the seller's details, feedback, etc (I wouldn't like to post the link here as I'm still waiting for the seller to get back to me and answer all my questions). :roll:

I'd really love to "root" this thing and re-flash it with another Android firmware but also I wouldn't like to "brick" it (as I'm considering to return it for a full refund). I guess I'll have to start looking for a suitable tested Rom, it has to be for the specific device, etc. :cry:
Superior
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General