Looking for someone to create an app for me :)

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Looking for someone to create an app for me :)

Postby Breigh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:27 am

Hi all :) I hope I'm in the right place. I've been searching for a Weight Watchers app on the android market, which does exist in the US but not here in the Netherlands.

I assume it'd be relatively easy to create, but since there isn't such a huge market for it here nobody has ever bothered, I'd find it extremely useful though and if I had a clue how to write it I would. I don't though, so I goggled android app developers and it lead me here.

Basically, what it is I'd need is an application that does a calculation for me. I don't know exactly how it works but I could find out. The calculation takes 4 variables (Fat, Protein, Carbs and Fiber) and then translates that into a weight watchers point value. I'd have to find out exactly how the calculation is done, but I don't think that would be hard.

Here is an example of an application made for Weight Watchers in the US :
http://www.submergedspaceman.com/blog/?p=5

I would use that, but Weight Watchers in the Netherlands runs on a different system and calculates differently than in the US.

I don't know if this is something that would be difficult to make, but if anyone would be willing to work with me on this I'd be very very grateful!!:)

Thanks all!
Breigh
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Looking for someone to create an app for me :)

Postby pmws » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:17 am

Breigh wrote: The calculation takes 4 variables (Fat, Protein, Carbs and Fiber) and then translates that into a weight watchers point value.

That sounds like the new ProPoints formula. WW is very protective about that, and although im sure it is out there somewhere, it is not that easy to find.

All i found were rumours that WW lawyers took down a couple of sites that showed it. (not sure if thats true)

I still hope someone writes your app. Sounds like a good idea. However, the person who does it has to be very careful about copyright and patent laws...
pmws
Developer
Developer

Postby Breigh » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:29 am

Oh wow, you're kidding me! Yeah it is the new ProPoints calculation. What a shame that they won't share it. I guess I can understand in a way but if they aren't going to get with the times and make an app (or Weight Watchers Mobile like in the US) they should at least give us a chance to make something for ourselves.

I don't want to spend 20 euro on a bulky calculator to carry in my bag when I could just as easily have a calculator on my phone (there are 101 of them out there for WW in the US, but not for ours). Looks like this is another Dutch ploy to force us to give them money. Although, I can't really throw stones there, if they -can- make us spend rather than giving us the info for free, it's sort of clever of them to do so.

Thanks for the info... what a bummer :(
Breigh
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General