Is Android dev safe?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Is Android dev safe?

Postby phix » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:31 pm

I've been reading and trying to follow the sh*tstorm surrounding Android right now... there's patent trolling, lawsuits, and it's really making me think twice about the safety of development. I don't want to put an app out that unintentionally violates some patent that someone grabbed to make money off the indie developer. One example that comes to mind is the "Click here to buy full version" is a patented "technology"? Are you effing kidding me?

So, what are you thoughts? Safe? Heading downhill? Same ol' when it comes to technology?
Posting questions without code is like going to the doctor and saying "it hurts, fix it."
phix
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: Is Android dev safe?

Postby Charles Elena » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:27 pm

I think one should directly contact Android Market to check for Patent technology and then anyone can put their app in Android Market.
Charles Elena
Developer
Developer

Re: Is Android dev safe?

Postby denevell » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am

It's unlikely you will be sued.

Google have patents that could attack Apple. Apple have patents that could attack Google.

Google have acquired Motorola's mobile division for its patents, arguably.

There was a patent accepted for /linked lists/ a while ago. Jesus H. Christ.

Either the US or EU, which is a bit better apparently, will have to sort this out. It's just anti-competitive and anti small-business and anti-innovation.

The Oh-I-might-get-sued thing is classic FUD around a platform.

If you app is good enough that someone wants to attack it with a spurious patent, then congratulations.

But I'd concentrate on getting to that point first.
denevell
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General