I Have Some Very General Questions

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

I Have Some Very General Questions

Postby Davidthefat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 am

I am a 16 year old Sophomore in highschool. I want to know if there is an age limit to publish apps on the Android Store. I have been using C++ since I was 12... Yes very very asian, and Im in AP Comp Sci class so Im learning Java (Not much different from C++) I was thinking of getting an Android phone after my contract ends for Verizon. I think this will be a great practice and something good to write for college apps. Well from 1-10, how hard is it to dev for the Android and how much different it is from the PC (Im assuming a lot of attention on memory management)

edit: What I want to get out of the Android:
-experience
-Something for college apps
-A lil bit of $$$ (AT LEAST to even out that $25 publishing fee)
-Just a good excuse to get such a cool phone
Davidthefat
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Draffodx » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Programming for the platform is in a general sense easy enough but in a deeper sense a lot of hard work, what I mean is its easy to make applications for it that are just basic applications that will run and do something. It gets kind of annoying and hard work when you want to create something new or different.

The lifecycle is what you need to get your head around, this helps with memory and resource management.
Draffodx
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby ameetnsharma » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:28 pm

I say go for it. I think you're definitely capable of developing for the Android. You have plenty of programming experience...

I think it's great experience. And there's a lot of potential in the Android Market.

There will of course be stumbling blocks etc... but that's there for everyone regardless... It's just a matter of doing it...

I don't think programming for the Android is any harder than on any other platform... The major issue I'm finding is that different android devices have 1) different input schemes (accelerometer, dpad etc) 2) different screen sizes... these two issues can make it a bit tricky to program for Android... The iPhone/iPod touch platform avoids this problem...

But the iPhone app store is saturated... I think Android is the way to go.
ameetnsharma
Developer
Developer

Postby Davidthefat » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:05 am

Regarding the different screen sizes, isnt there some kind of "GetScreenWidth" and height functions? That can be a minor stumbling block, I would make all movements based on the screen width, so just 1 unit of movement is ScreenWidth / 128 or something.

Also for that different input schemes, I can just go all out on the touch screen, all android devices on the market are touch screen (I personally might only be able to get the HTC Eris, if Im lucky, I can get a Moto Croid) so thats the most obvious choice of input
Davidthefat
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ameetnsharma » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:53 am

Davidthefat wrote:Regarding the different screen sizes, isnt there some kind of "GetScreenWidth" and height functions? That can be a minor stumbling block, I would make all movements based on the screen width, so just 1 unit of movement is ScreenWidth / 128 or something.

Exactly. :)

Also for that different input schemes, I can just go all out on the touch screen, all android devices on the market are touch screen (I personally might only be able to get the HTC Eris, if Im lucky, I can get a Moto Croid) so thats the most obvious choice of input

Yup. I agree.
ameetnsharma
Developer
Developer

Postby Davidthefat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:06 am

Going to order my Eris tomorrow on new egg... Its free

And My mom actually approved, My phone right now is crap, barely works (Samsung Glyde, the original firmware) and Told my mom Im going to program on the phone to potentially get money and can write it on the College apps, Shes happy actually.

so whats the average income of apps?

JUST Ordered the phones

FML..

Verizon Wireless has determined that your account is not eligible for a contract extension, therefore your order cannot be completed at this time. As soon as you become eligible for an upgrade, we will send you and email with a link to our hottest offers.

so I have to wait 1 more month
Davidthefat
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General