How's Android 3D graphics compare to the iphone 3D graphics?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

How's Android 3D graphics compare to the iphone 3D graphics?

Postby momob » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Hello guys,

Is this possible to develop on the Android. I mean, could the graphics on the Android match the one of the iphone?

A Lunar lander game on the iphone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXKEgU3G ... r_embedded

Newbie on the Android but I love one day to do a 3D game on it.

Thanks and have great week-end all.

Mo.
momob
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby padde » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:49 pm

this is not only a matter of the right OS or software.. the device needs the right hardware.
Android supports OpenGL ES so yes you can do games like that.. but i dont know if the current
devices support it to its full extension.

I think we will see such games on android too... the professionals just need a proof that there
is money in the android market :)
padde
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby momob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:04 am

Thank you so much Padde for your answer. The point about Android device hardware is a good point. Iphone has an advantage since it is a control system (by Apple) so developers kind of know what to expect. For the Android, it seems more complicated since they will be many Android devices that probably will not have the same hardware. Hopefully hardware companies will be smart enough to includes some minimum stuff to do 3D correctly. I am sure they will if they want their device(s) to win in the market place. Still it is troublesome in the developer point of view since you will probably need to be careful on how you develop and worry about mutliple devices. I had the same issues when developing for the Palm OS but it had more to do with OS (4.0+ versus 5.0+ for instance) So I am worried that Android will fall in that same trap. Frankly I do not know enough about Android dev o really tell.

Only time will tell how Android devices will be available in the market (I hope a lot) I do not have any idea how many Android apps are out there but having multiple Android devices will of course help the plateform.

In event, thank you very much for your quick answer. I appreciate it.

Mo,
momob
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to General