Flash AIR vs. Direct Android

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Flash AIR vs. Direct Android

Postby shavlor » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Hello,

I just got my Android phone and have started looking into developing games for it.
I noticed that Flash games can be directly ported to the Android (2.2) using flash AIR. I have been making flash games for quite some time and am comfortable with it. The question is the following:

Are games running on Flash AIR on Android comparable to those designed directly for the Android OS?

Should I spend my time trying to learn all the APIs for Android or should I just continue to make flash games and port them over with AIR?

Thanks in advance
shavlor
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Flash AIR vs. Direct Android

Postby Shattered9 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:48 am

This is a personal decision. There are distinct advantages to both, but you will need to determine which advantages are better for you.

Working via Flash is a nice alternative. I haven't used Flash in quite some time, but in general it will obviously be easier to work with, especially since you have a good bit of experience with it. The major downside of working with this is that obviously only phones that can use Flash can use your app. This will continue becoming less and less of a problem as time goes on, and there are many app developers out there willing to deal with this, but it really is a major cut into your potential downloaders that would otherwise be able to use your app.

Developing an app via Java, or using the NDK, would make your app much more compatible and limited only to the specs of the system really. I personally prefer this for the level of control and compatibility, but if the extra work and learning outweighs this for you then working with Flash would be a fine alternative.
Shattered9
Developer
Developer

Return to General