Copyrights, trademarks and the Android Market

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Copyrights, trademarks and the Android Market

Postby Jasp182 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:58 pm

I have seen apps such as a Stewie sound board or sound boards from particular movies. Is this not against copyright laws? Is it ok to use a famous person's or entity's identity in an app? Is it ok to use a low res audio sample in an app? Or, are these just waiting to be taken down?
Jasp182
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Copyrights, trademarks and the Android Market

Postby jdavet » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 am

I did a search regarding copyrights, trademarks, and the like and only found this thread that was made 2 years ago... but didn't have any answers. So I wanted to BUMP this thread as I feel it is pretty important.

I would like to make an app that needs information from a website... it would be something similar to the craigslist notification app that seemed to have been created by a independent developer. Did he need to talk to the craigslist folks to get permission to use the info? or to use the craigslist logo for his icon?

If I wanted to use a picture of a children's show character (ex: pokemon character), is that ok? I see many Barney and Sesame Street wallpapers and apps (some of which that charge) that haven't been pulled from the Market. Did they get permission to make these apps?

Anyways... I would hope to get a better idea of what can and can't be used when developing apps as far as images, names, and trademarks are concerned.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
jdavet
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Copyrights, trademarks and the Android Market

Postby Jasp182 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:59 am

I found this...might give you some good info

http://nolanlawson.com/2011/05/26/on-po ... s-removal/
Jasp182
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General