Can I remix a Final Fantasy song and use it in my game?

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Can I remix a Final Fantasy song and use it in my game?

Postby lgmcben » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm

For example, if I remix battle themes from Final Fantasy series and use it in my game. Will I get into copyright problem?

I'd be more than happy to put some credit text like this in my game:
"Battle theme originally composed by Nobuo Uematsu, remixed by [my name here]"

I also saw a top game on Android Market using music(ending theme) from Chrono Trigger.
It's a zuma-type game sitting on the Top Free page in the Android Market. So I believe this is doable...?

Thanks in advance!
lgmcben
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Can I remix a Final Fantasy song and use it in my game?

Postby BUKsAPPs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Remixing a song and using it would be a copyright infringement. You would be liable to damages and vulnerable to lawsuit. Very likely any legal action would start with a cease and desist order, and could end there if you complied. (This is friendly advice, NOT legal advice, seek a lawyer for that). Just because there is a current game with music that you recognize doesn't mean that it is ok for you to do the same. They may have permission, that song my not be copyright of Square Enix, they may currently be in legal battle, or any other number of scenarios.

Here is a good FAQ for similar question you might have.
http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=fo ... =rules&f=5

Will using FF music make your game any better. Why not find some free loops or hire a composer for you game and make it unique. I understand the struggle, because I am terrible at music, but it just isn't worth it. My next game is going to have some free music in it, but I hope to be able to hire a composer for some of my games planned for the future.
BUKsAPPs
Claustrum Lite - Area capture game
R:P:S Academy - play Rock/Paper/Scissors online
BUKsAPPs
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: Can I remix a Final Fantasy song and use it in my game?

Postby lgmcben » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:20 am

Hi,

Thanks so much for a very informative answer.

The thought of using FF music never crossed my mind until I heard Chrono Trigger song from one of the Top Free game in Android Market.

I can create my own music. No problem with that. But if you're also a fan of FF music, I think you understand why I want to include some tracks in my game. It's a dream.

But judging from the answer, I'd better off creating my own music as I always do. =)

Thanks again.
lgmcben
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to General