Calendar API (android.provider.Calendar)

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Calendar API (android.provider.Calendar)

Postby val » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi everybody,

has anybody play around with the Android Calendar API yet? Quick glances over the code tell me that I can use it to publish Calendar Entries to my Google Calendar with it. I have difficulties how to get started with it though (it is undocumented). Maybe it doesn't even work. Anybody tried it yet?

Especially I wonder on what the MimeType of a Calendar Entry is (the URI is content:/calendar/events). (Or can I maybe set up an IntentReceiver to catch an Intent based on that URI?)

If I knew this, I could set up my own IntentReceiver to use the GData Apis and still have by Frontend compatible for when the SDK evolves :-).

If you are not using android.provider.Calendar then how do you deal with Calendar related stuff? Homebrewed your own Calendar Layer? I'm sure google will include a calendar in a future SDK, so I want to use as much google stuff as possible to be able to plugin their calendar at a later time.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Valentin
val
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ppcinfo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:51 pm

I've got the same question. I couldn't find any documented way of accessing the Calendar and Tasks items in the Android OS. Is there an API that will allow me to do this?

I'm a former Windows Mobile app developer, and in the WM OS you can use POOM (Pocket-Outlook Object Model) to query, add, delete, modify such items. There must be a similar (or easier) way of doing this with the Android OS.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
ppcinfo
ppcinfo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby keyserSoze » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:21 am

I've been desperately searching around for a way to sync my app with the calendar managed to get it adding but not removing. However i've not published that section yet as apparently it isn't a public API yet and no word of when it will be.

Where you can find a way to add events
keyserSoze
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jimblackler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:42 am

I've written about the unpublished calendar API on my site here: http://jimblackler.net/blog/?p=151

Hope that helps.
jimblackler
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jera » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:47 am

i tried using the uri "content://calendar/calendars" but there was an error "failed to find provider info for calendar"

i'm already using android 2.0

do you have a way out of this?

jimblackler wrote:I've written about the unpublished calendar API on my site here: http://jimblackler.net/blog/?p=151

Hope that helps.
jera
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jimblackler » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Jera

Does the emulator or device you are using have the standard Google Calendar app on it, with a least one calendar synced?

Jim
jimblackler
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jera » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:28 am

actually none... can i download it to the emulator?

jimblackler wrote:Hi Jera

Does the emulator or device you are using have the standard Google Calendar app on it, with a least one calendar synced?

Jim
jera
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jimblackler » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 am

It is probably possible to copy the Google Calendar apps off a device to an emulator, but I haven't had to do this.
jimblackler
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jera » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:29 am

Have you tested your application with android v1.5 onwards?

jimblackler wrote:It is probably possible to copy the Google Calendar apps off a device to an emulator, but I haven't had to do this.
jera
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jimblackler » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:53 am

jera wrote:Have you tested your application with android v1.5 onwards?

jimblackler wrote:It is probably possible to copy the Google Calendar apps off a device to an emulator, but I haven't had to do this.

Yes I have.
jimblackler
Freshman
Freshman

can this work?

Postby sunny » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:38 am

hi all,

I am developing a calendar to sync it with google calendar..
Google is providing us some apis to access gcal. But that is compiled using standard jvm. I am trying to compile that source code using android dvm and wanted to use that library in my application. any one worked like this?

Hey Jim and jera need your suggestion in doing this..

Any suggestions are appreciated.
sunny
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby powell » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:17 am

Hi,
Has somebody figured out something more about synchronizing Google Calendar with Android application?
powell
Freshman
Freshman

Return to General