Brainstorming Playground Android App

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Brainstorming Playground Android App

Postby warrenbaltz » Wed May 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I've been browsing through some of the Android apps out there. In particular there's an interesting open source zombie game and andnav here on this site. It all got me thinking. And while I don't have the time, experience, or ability to complete the following project, I need to say it out loud.

Android Capture the Flag
Imagine looking at your phone to see your city divided into two sides with a neutral zone in the middle. Your location is marked on the map as well as small icons near you denoting your team mates. As you physically travel (walk, bike, car - careful!) to the other side of the city, you notice little red icons denoting players from the opposing team. As they get within your "visual range" they appear on your screen and you appear on theirs. Get within a certain distance (500 feet?) of an opponent and they tag you - you're out of the game. Get within tagging distance of your opponents' flag to capture it, and carry it back to your side for the win!

Capture the Flag would be particularly fun, but all sorts of schoolyard games could be adapted to use the GPS function on a large scale.

Impractical - yes - but fun to think about.
warrenbaltz
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby padde » Wed May 13, 2009 6:03 pm

I think this is a funny idea.. but their some issues that needs to be adressed up front.
How to check view distance?! Imagine you are the flag carrier and someone sitting in the starbucks
joins the game and tags you.. this could be realy frustrating. I think to avoid this and make it more team based
you should have at least two opposite players within range X to tag enemy flag carrier. So the teams have to group
and coordinate.. this could be reeeealy fun :D
Of course their must a way to organize that.. some sort of chat or something like that.
And to prevent cheating .. like taking the subway or walk in buildings and so on.. players that lost GPS signal X seconds should be kicked or flaged as inactive or something like that.
Some kind of powerup or leveling feature would be nice too.. this kind of stuff attracts more people :)

In some weeks or even months i could help planing and/or implement that idea..
padde
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to General