Best device for android development

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Best device for android development

Postby fluxim » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:00 am

Hi,

I´m looking for a cheap mobil phone for android development. There should be a lot of howtos online, howto root and flash the device....

The device should not be too old. I hope that somebody has an idea where to get such a phone and what phones are best for development.

Thanks!
fluxim
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: Best device for android development

Postby blundell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Google Nexus One - born and bred for this - get it off eBay
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby johnpeat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Raft of reasons NOT to use a Nexus-1 - the lack of memory for apps is one- lack of a proper multitouch screen is another (I use an original HTC Desire which is the same hardware and has the same issues).

The best developer phone is probably the Samsung Galaxy S because they all had proper multitouch screens and most can be connected to a video output for screen capture/video purposes (they are the only devices which offer this AFAIK)

They aren't cheap tho - even 'broken' phones (no mobile calls/data but the rest works) are selling for decent prices!

p.s. there's no reason/need to root a phone to develop on it. The only reason I can see for doing it is attempting to hack your own game and/or exporting serialised data perhaps???
Tasty Android Snacks - http://www.somewhatdog.com
johnpeat
Developer
Developer

Postby blundell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:54 pm

The best developer phone .. is to have multiple phones.

The nexus one is THE development phone, your argument is inherently flawed, your thinking of it from a consumer perspective.

There is no 'lack of memory' N1 intenral mem = 512meg your testing one app in the internal memory (as well as possibilty to move2SD , the MAX APK SIZE is roughly ~147meg and you will never create an app this big anyway.

Proper multitouch ... what are you even talking about the Nexus One is multitouch, and if this isn't on every phone you would not want to rely on it therefore testing on both devices as my first sentence.

Video output .. irrelevant from a developer perspective - learn to use DDMS.

That is all.
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to General