application rewrite.

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

application rewrite.

Postby Dannible » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:07 am

Hey guys I just wondering what some opinions where on application rewrites and whether they should be released under the old market place entry or if the rewritten app should be released as a new application.

For example, about 8 months ago I released an app on the market place and was supporting it with new features and bugs fixes as they came in from the community. In the mean time I came to realize that my app was "broken" as in the coding messy and supporting it was a nightmare. So I decided to throw away my code and start fresh. The application I have today is very different from my original app. the UI is very different and streamlined but I kept all the features people had asked for from my original app.

I don't really want to just update the one that is out on the market because Google has no way of notifying people that have tried my app and gave it a bad review to come back and try it again. I was thinking of making a 2.0 release and keeping the original on up on the market place.

What do you think?

~Dan
Dannible
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: application rewrite.

Postby Schermvlieger » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 am

It depends if it is a paid app or free.

If the app is free, and there are many bad reviews/ratings already I would publish it as a new app. I would make a final update of the old app to notify my active users of the new version on the market.

If the app is paid, I would replace the old app with the new version out of respect for my customers.
Schermvlieger
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to General