Android Market, Reviews, Ratings, and Ads

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Android Market, Reviews, Ratings, and Ads

Postby Nexeo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:01 pm

In Q1 this year I published my app to the Android Market.
The app was free so it slowly began gaining popularity. In approx 6 months it has been downloaded over 350,000 times with a 45% retention rate. I pride myself on the fact that the applications I publish work as well as possible and I fix any issues encountered or reported within a reasonable time frame. On the Android Market there is a huge number of ignorant users who have nothing better to do than download applications and give them bad ratings, or so it seems.

My application is a Magic 8 Ball that, as you would expect, acts like a Magic 8 Ball toy and shows random responses. I get bad ratings from ignorant users who over-analyze the application saying things like "It responds in the affirmative >80% of the time", "its always wrong" and "it's boring, don't bother downloading". The responses are as random as possible using Java's Rand and it's simply a novelty app...

How does everyone else fair with applications they have published and the ratings and reviews they are getting back?

On another note, after all this time I've decided to try to earn something from all the time I've spent on this free application and I signed up for an account with AdMob. Their little SDK was simple and quick to integrate to my application, a few lines in your manifest file, designer files, and java files and you're good to go.

Since updating with advertisements, I haven't gotten a lot of negative feedback regarding the ads but there have been a few reviews that complain about them. I truly and surprised by the number of clicks on the ads I've introduced to the application, the CTR is >2% which is astonishing compared to my web site ads CTR of <0.2%. How does everyone else feel about paid apps versus recurring revenue from ads inside the apps?
Nexeo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Android Market, Reviews, Ratings, and Ads

Postby blundell » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:24 pm

I like app's with ads, I can see how developers can use them to give away good apps for free.

I would rate your initial app 5 star :-) and yes there are morons who write stupid comments all the time.

However, I despise app's that are free and then integrate app's afterwards. I would rate you 1 star. Although if you said in your description that the update added ad's I would more than happily not upgrade and leave the 5 stars.

As well as ignorant user's there are ignorant developers.

On a side note another ignorant developer is Skype, why haven't they done apps2sd on a 10meg app! Morons. 1star for them :p
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: Android Market, Reviews, Ratings, and Ads

Postby Nexeo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't see why introducing applications in order to be able to afford to continue dedicating time to development and maintenance constitutes a 1 star rating, when the ads don't interfere with the presentation or functionality of the application at all.

In a reversed situation I would be more than happy to help support the developer if I liked the application, especially if it didn't cost me a dime. I'm willing to look at a few ads (most of the time even ignoring them) so long as I can still use the application uninterrupted.
Nexeo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to General