Android Market question: Taxes

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

Android Market question: Taxes

Postby georgwiese » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:56 am

Hey,
I'm confused with paying taxes when selling apps in the Android Market, especially with VAT.
I guess every country has its own VAT, so how am I supposed to pay it? Is there a website with answers regarding this topic?

Thanks ;)
georgwiese
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: Android Market question: Taxes

Postby blundell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:57 pm

I've looked for this answer my self, the market is self regulating and leaves the issues of taxes up to you personally and I believe you should declare them on your tax return for the year.
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby georgwiese » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:34 pm

I've never done that, so am I responsible of finding out the VAT rates of all the countries that I have customers from and then paying them or is there something like an international VAT for software? Does this even apply if the earnings are really small? Like right know, I've only sold the donate version of one of my apps three times, each for one Euro and therefore 70 ct that I can actually keep^^ One in France, one in the US and one in Spain...
georgwiese
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby blundell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:50 pm

It doesn't matter where you Sell your app's your english based so you pay the english VAT rate. (this is what I think anyway).

With just selling 3 apps there's no need to declare, but tbh the boundaries are fuzzy and I would like some more information on this myself
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby georgwiese » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Wait a second, I guess since I'm German, I guess I pay the German VAT? Or does it have to do with the languages that I offer?

Thanks for your answers ;)
georgwiese
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby Schermvlieger » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:19 pm

I spoke with the tax agency in my country (netherlands) about this problem a few months ago and they could not give me an answer either. I decided to ignore the whole VAT issue for the moment and will only declare the earnings at the end of the year. My thoughts are if earnings from these software sells are high enough to really worry about these things, you can always hire an accountant to deal with it for you.
Schermvlieger
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Return to General