android market getting more commends and rates

General topics about the Android-Platform itself.
Coding issues please to the subforum right below.

android market getting more commends and rates

Postby simondid » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:13 pm

hey

hey i have been making my first android app and i have about 800 downloads - around 300 active users but i only goth one commend and 2 rates ore some thing how can i get more rates and commends my app has been on the market for like 1 month

so how can in get more downloads commends and rates ??

i you wanna tray my app it's named Hobby Calculator
simondid
Developer
Developer

Re: android market getting more commends and rates

Postby Shattered9 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:57 pm

Ah, the magical question that every developer wishes they knew the perfect answer to. :P

Unfortunately there's not really any easy way for us average developers to make our app famous over night. Simply put, you need to get the word out as much as humanly possible, however this is far easier said than done. You can do things like submit it to review sites, though they tend to only look at rather polished and unique apps that take quite some time to develop. Really any way you can think of to direct attention to your app, but it can lead to a slippery slope. Don't spam or post your app in places it shouldn't be posted, it will do more harm than good. I wish I could give you an answer that is actually helpful, but it's just not an easy thing to do unless your good friends with a celebrity who has millions of twitter followers and can get them to tweet about your app. :P

Your app will have a harder time than usual getting noticed because of what it is. There are plenty of very well made calculator apps floating around the market that have a very well established user base. That's not to say it's impossible, it will just be difficult.

I gave your app a whirl myself in the middle of typing this. It does what it is meant to quite well. There are two suggestions I have to make sure you don't get bad ratings from people (Because many Android Market users are funny and will 1 star an app for one little thing wrong). The first being to add a "clear" button to erase everything, and the other being to add a check on the backspace button to make sure it doesn't try to delete a character that's not there (I'm sure you know about this since it will crash the app).

Other than that I'd say it works very well. Good luck getting more users!
Shattered9
Developer
Developer

Postby simondid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:37 am

ty for the long replay i really like it specially the bug report / suggestions ill go fix them right away

i can follow youre forth about that it's not easy to make an app pupillary just forth that there there some sites the i can public it one that might have given me a littel bigger download rate pr day

Edit

update has been made and the bucks you mentiont has been updatet

just a quest due you thing that i can call the Button C insted off CLEAR??

it givs me som layout problems on small phones
simondid
Developer
Developer

Postby Shattered9 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:44 pm

I would think that it will be fine to just leave it as "C". Most people will expect to find some form of clear functionality, so I'm sure they will put two and two together pretty quickly.

If you were really worried about it you could detect screen sizes and change that one string (Since it would be overkill to have different layout), but I've got to say that this is pretty excessive. I would likely just leave it as "C" myself. 8)
Shattered9
Developer
Developer

Postby simondid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:41 pm

that al sov what i did then i alsov addet a seek bar in preferance screen for deviding number off decimals wantet.

now i kinda need a new project becouse the code for the calculator is getting to advanced to me any idear no games idear and intetnet i know that they are to hard to make for me :-(

som body goth any idears ??
simondid
Developer
Developer

Postby Shattered9 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Well, I don't think you're going to get any amazing unique ideas out of other developers (We tend to keep our awesome concepts to ourselves. :P). The best way to get into a project like that is to think of something that you enjoy, or something you would find very useful. Doing a project like that tends to give you much more motivation then just some random app that does something you will never care about.

If you're really at a loss, and you want a new project more to learn from than to get downloads/sales from, you could look through the Market and see if any of those apps trigger an idea. Even the simplest concepts, something like a timer for example, can evolve into a very useful app if you're creative with it.

You could also browse around the net for various Android tutorials. The projects created from some of them could very easily be used as the basis for your next app.

Sorry I am not just giving you a list of ideas, but it's in your best interest to find something you actually want to work on. 8)
Shattered9
Developer
Developer

Postby simondid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 am

haha thats what i have been duing like all day and i goth a like 2 ore 3 idear true the day but non off them can be done ore needs to hig lvl programming for me :-(

idear 1
a app thats shutdown the phone a with delay dicidet bay the user

need root acces :-(

idear 2

a mysql app to add and retrive data from a mysql server

the aswere i goth
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5207 ... -data-back

idear 3

making a app for a radio station in my arena

can't figur out who to play the audio stream :-(
simondid
Developer